• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating software skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating software skills

Hi all,

I'm a Software Engineer contractor, currently in a role that requires C++ and Qt skills.

I'm well aware after a stint of unemployment last year that C++ isn't the most sought-after programming skill, and I'd like to be able to apply for contracts that are more up-to-date in terms of the technologies they're looking for.

I've learned a fair amount of C#/WPF in my own time, and would like to be able to apply for roles along those lines, but agents tend to dismiss me on the basis that I haven't done much work with C# or WPF in an actual working environment. The fact that I have about 10 years experience as a Software Engineer working across multiple languages (C, C++, Java) doesn't really seem to matter.

So my question is - how do I go about breaking into roles with these technologies? I'm starting to feel a bit boxed in.

Question is how do you get demonstrable skills that would convince a client to hire you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Synesthetic View Post
      Hi all,

I'm a Software Engineer contractor, currently in a role that requires C++ and Qt skills.

I'm well aware after a stint of unemployment last year that C++ isn't the most sought-after programming skill, and I'd like to be able to apply for contracts that are more up-to-date in terms of the technologies they're looking for.

I've learned a fair amount of C#/WPF in my own time, and would like to be able to apply for roles along those lines, but agents tend to dismiss me on the basis that I haven't done much work with C# or WPF in an actual working environment. The fact that I have about 10 years experience as a Software Engineer working across multiple languages (C, C++, Java) doesn't really seem to matter.

So my question is - how do I go about breaking into roles with these technologies? I'm starting to feel a bit boxed in.
      You could create a side project, plan b type thing. Treat it as startup, put a website together, sell it or let it be downloaded for free. Put it on your CV. I've done this and was much more enjoyable than just passing (or failing) MS certificates.

Or contribute to a few open source projects that may interest you.

You could go for a perm role, I understand perm roles are in high demand and you may get a company that will give you the experience of using c#/wpf. Then look for a contract role.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Question is how do you get demonstrable skills that would convince a client to hire you.
        Not client, agent. They're the gatekeepers in having your CV handed over to a client, and they need convincing that I can actually work with the above technologies.

Comment

Ignoring what you have p*ssed around in your own time with, what is the most modern language you have commercial skills in second to C++?

1. Edit your CV to show you are strong in that language and associated frameworks - this doesn't mean lying it means highlighting that language
          2. Go to the networking groups for that language and get yourself known now while you are still in a contract - that way you can work on your soft skills while not desperate for work plus know the up and coming language changes, what other companies actually use etc.
          3. Then play around in that language.
          4. Keep going to the networking groups, and when your contract is near the end mention it to a few people but not in a desperate way. Most networking groups offer permanent roles but you can get contracts.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not client, agent. They're the gatekeepers in having your CV handed over to a client, and they need convincing that I can actually work with the above technologies.
            Good point well made.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Good point well made.
              Hence trying to bypass them by making sure people know who you are as a person. You may be referred back to an agent but once the client knows who you are you are more likely to get a role.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Does that mean there's a C++ QT role going?

Unfortunately I don't think side projects or whatever carry any real weight; perhaps because it's hard to know how much time you spend on it. Also unfortunately you always get pushed back into whatever your main skill is. I managed to learn C# on a contract on the basis that a small part of it was C++ (and they didn't have anyone else), but that was now several years ago and so looks kind of irrelevant on my mainly C++ CV.

Going perm is probably the best option, but of course you also have to be lucky and not end up in a dead end there too.

And do you really want to do WPF?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Does that mean there's a C++ QT role going?

Unfortunately I don't think side projects or whatever carry any real weight; perhaps because it's hard to know how much time you spend on it. Also unfortunately you always get pushed back into whatever your main skill is. I managed to learn C# on a contract on the basis that a small part of it was C++ (and they didn't have anyone else), but that was now several years ago and so looks kind of irrelevant on my mainly C++ CV.
                  Disagree about side projects, if you do them well. Or take time off and do it well, which is what I did. I got my next contract off the experience gained. Gotta put the effort in.

Comment

I would question is WPF good place to go. Not sure about its future. But who knows. Latest trend is web again.

Just edit your CV and add WPF into your two last contracts. Apply marketing rules to your CV and make yourself WPF developer.

Comment

Working...
                    X