• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updating software skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Disagree about side projects, if you do them well. Or take time off and do it well, which is what I did. I got my next contract off the experience gained. Gotta put the effort in.
    Did you put the time off to learn something on your cv or leave a gap?

I think that's more likely to work if it's something new. If it's something established agents/clients tend to ask "how many years experience do you have in X", and then aren't interested if you can't say you were doing it for 3 years. But I can only speak from my experience.

Previous client started a big project in WPF/C# but ultimately ditched it, complaining it was too slow, and then looked for someone to do it in C++/QT instead.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
      That's exactly what is happening. People do WPF, just probably at a smaller scale. Plus WPF always was linked with RX, TDD, reactiveUI, MVVM....
      Personally I'm longing for the day when WebAssembly goes mainstream and managed frameworks like .NET can compile to it. Then we won't be tied to the appalling mess that is JavaScript. Come back C#, come back XAML, come back all the stuff we've enjoyed for 20+ years such as world-class debugging and intellisense. Come back PRODUCTIVITY. What I would give for a folder called 'lib' that has a handful of 3rd party DLL's, compared to the mess that is 100Mb of node_modules or even Nuget packages. What I'd give for a nicely controlled and documented framework again compared to the mess of unsupported, undocumented npm packages. So much for progress eh?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Did you put the time off to learn something on your cv or leave a gap?

I think that's more likely to work if it's something new. If it's something established agents/clients tend to ask "how many years experience do you have in X", and then aren't interested if you can't say you were doing it for 3 years. But I can only speak from my experience.
        I put it down on my CV as founder of startup, with the time it took - treated it as I would a client. But good point, I was learning relatively new tech at the time, so unlikely that anyone would have asked for say 3 years experience. So I concede to your logic spock.

Comment

So you spending work (contractual) hours on you personal needs? It does look like misleading client.
          Am glad you are so sure of that based on zero knowledge of my situation but if it makes you happy go with it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So you spending work (contractual) hours on you personal needs? It does look like misleading client.
            You are aware that clients work out the number of hours you are likely to do productive work per day?

That includes smoking breaks if you are a smoker, going to the loo, moving your eyes of a screen every 10 mins to comply with H&S, getting drinks etc.

Also once you are more senior they pay on output not how many hours you sit there.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Erm. Nope.
              You know, my old dad used to say, "You can be one of those people earning a fortune by having blagged his way into a juicy role, or you can be one of those people complaining about people earning a fortune by having blagged their way into a juicy role".

Which would you rather be?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                You know, my old dad used to say, "You can be one of those people earning a fortune by having blagged his way into a juicy role, or you can be one of those people complaining about people earning a fortune by having blagged their way into a juicy role".

Which would you rather be?

Wise words indeed lol.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X