• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choose best health insurance for contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    That article is somewhat outdated.
    Yeah i looked at that recently; as you say, outdated.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by Gius View Post
      Hello all,

I'm trying to choose a good deal for a private health insurance.
      Do you recommend anything?

Thanks!

Hi, If you want to know about more about WPA, more than happy to help. Me & Simon look after all contractors who take out a policy with WPA.

Medical Cover for contractors from WPA :: Contractor UK
      Tom Bradley
      WPA Account Manager
      Email: [email protected]
      http://www.contractoruk.com/insuranc...cal_cover.html

Comment

Escalating renewal costs

Was with Health On Line (aka AXA) for a while but costs kept escalating at renewal, apparently I have this habit of getting older ever year ...

Finally decided that the exclusions and deferment periods, basically meant, it would be easier to join the regular NHS queue.

Private Health insurance seems to be like VIP lines at airport, still the same checks, people and plane, just get to sit at the front a little quicker...

Comment

I recommend getting a quote for health insurance and then starting a savings account called "Health fund" and paying the amount into that instead.

Comment

Unfortunately it depends it depends on the insurer, your medical history and whether you claim how much your payments go up by.

Oh and some private providers due to them being the company that provided benefits and private health care to ex-employers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Then again some of them have been involved in the benefits fiasco.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 14 April 2017, 01:30.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Updated Article for Medical Cover courtesy of Intouch

Is it tax efficient to put private health insurance through your limited company? :: Contractor UK
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 May 2017, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK View Post
                Remind me not to use Intouch.

Compare this with the company paying, the premium cost remains at £1,200 plus the Class 1A NI of £166, a total cost of £1,366. You would be taxed personally at 40% of the value of the benefit being £480 and that tax cost would need to be met from dividend income, using the same principles above, using up £878 of contracting income. So, the total cost to the company is £2,244. This is more expensive than paying personally!
                The company would also SAVE £259.54 in Corporation Tax (19% of £1366), which is completely left out of this analysis. So the total cost to the company would be £1984.46, which is not more expensive than paying personally.

The company's cost (both the premium and the Class 1A NI) reduces the profit, and thus the corporation tax. Any analysis which leaves that out of the computations is not worth the bandwidth it takes up or the time I wasted reading it. I'd expect better from CUK.

Comment

Thanks WIB. Updated.

Is it tax efficient to put private health insurance through your limited company? :: Contractor UK

Comment

Ah, much better.

The tax savings aren't a lot, of course, but in the normal case it is marginally more tax efficient to pay for the insurance through the company. As always, you can ask your accountant to do the sums, and as always (and as this case proves) you can then run the numbers yourself to see what they are missing. The old "trust but verify" and expect them to explain if your verification doesn't tie out.

Comment

Working...
                    X