• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choose best health insurance for contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Vitality. Never claimed but the customer service isn't great.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I'm with Vitality. Never claimed but the customer service isn't great.
      ...so do you claim it as an accountant approved, legit, expense?
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
        ...so do you claim it as an accountant approved, legit, expense?
        No. I was advised that if I put it through my LtdCo, it would be a BIK. With that in mind, the benefits of MyCo paying for it were minimal so I pay for it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          No. I was advised that if I put it through my LtdCo, it would be a BIK. With that in mind, the benefits of MyCo paying for it were minimal so I pay for it personally.
          OK thanks, I need to check this out with accountant to see what's what...
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            OK thanks, I need to check this out with accountant to see what's what...
            Yes, it's a Benefit in Kind.

If your salary is £8K, it may be worth putting through the company. You save 20% Corporation Tax. You have to pay 13.8% employer NIC on it, but that's deductible from corporation tax, so the net cost is 11%. So you save 20% and spend 11%, an overall savings of 9% on your premiums.

But for the tax savings, you'll have the hassle of having to report it on your P11D and making the extra payment to HMRC. Whether that's worth it to you may depend on how much the premium is, whether you are already filing a P11D, etc.

If your salary is up to the personal allowance and you are using the employment allowance, you probably don't want to put it through your company.

Comment

My accountant told me that would be better to pay it privately and not through my limited company. He says it can create a business in kind, but dunno what it means.

Comment

When I looked into what could be put through a company it looked like some income protection could be tax deducted and not subject to BIK.

These Ltd policies would insure your company against having to payout long term sick, however the sick pay was made via the company and subject to normal taxation and you would have to keep the company running.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Having health insurance through my previous employer led to HMRC making a complete mess of my tax code as they attempted to adjust for the BIK. I think if you have the option just pay for it yourself.

I've experienced claiming with Aviva. They paid for some of my surgery, but not all of it. Apparently the surgeon is meant to wake you up in the middle of the operation so you can phone your insurer to get approval for what he wants to do...
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Here is an article about it

Is it tax efficient to put private health insurance through your limited company? :: Contractor UK

Comment

That article is somewhat outdated.

Comment

Working...
                      X