• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any negative consequences of permanently leaving the UK (for tax purposes)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Not that many on the list, I guess Norway, Denmark, Switzerland would be up there on the list, but I am nowhere near those countries, way further east I'm afraid
    Brexit is a big unknown and I guess the only way to guarantee my low, low NHS pension would be to become a citizen (I am not right now) and that costs money, currently approaching 3000GBP - I think I'd have to get really lucky and live really long to reclaim all that with NHS pension
    Hmm. My plan is also to settle down somewhere "way further East" in the far future (where I'm originally from). Is there any scope for you to keep paying in to that state pension - maybe do a month or two a year of contracting in the UK to keep things ticking over, or are you completely done with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lavarella View Post
      A slightly related question...

If one was to leave the country for good at some point in the tax year, I guess that the £ 11,000 yearly allowance that a contractor is often advised to use for the monthly £ 671.66 director salary (and the reminder for shares) gets pro-rated, right?

Does the same apply for the £ 5,000 shares allowance on top of the 11k?
      I think this would depend on what point you left the UK during the year, if you are resident for a certain amount of the year, you would be a full time resident for tax purposes. Also, depending on the country you go to, if they have a dual tax treaty with the UK, and I guess depending on the new countries tax year too, as it may well not run April to April like the UK. Speak to an accountant / fiscal representative in both countries to get it right.

Comment

Have a friend working out in Uganda for an NGO. She comes back only for a few months every 18 months / 2 years. One of the things she said this week is that she is no longer eligible for NHS care - except for emergency care. So - would make certain you have medical cover.

Comment

Working...
        X