• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ever lost a contract after negotiation started

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever lost a contract after negotiation started

Any tips for negotiating?

Had interview, client obviously interested because agent's called and asked me to confirm rate, which I do.

Agent calls back later saying the range in job spec was a bit high and client's range now tops out at the bottom end of the advertised range.

I assume that they've actually already agreed a rate and he's just working on me for more margin.

Thing is I'm idle at the moment so I'm apprehensive about playing hardball and losing the contract.

First question you should have asked is if the agent is on a fixed rate and got that confirmed in a mail. That way you know the agent isnt trying to rip you off.

What figures are we talking here. Way under market rate? 100s of pounds? "How much would you do gig for? No point pushing 20 to 50 quid if you are losing days billing. It's just a short term gig, if it's a little under market it's not exactly going to put you on the breadline and it's only for a short period. Get a good warchest sorted and then you can play hardball with the next gig.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you're idle and you need it I'm afraid you don't have much negotiating clout. Get your rate up at the next renewal is my advice. No harm in a "feeble" ask for more, but you can't afford to play hard ball.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
        Any tips for negotiating?

Had interview, client obviously interested because agent's called and asked me to confirm rate, which I do.

Agent calls back later saying the range in job spec was a bit high and client's range now tops out at the bottom end of the advertised range.

I assume that they've actually already agreed a rate and he's just working on me for more margin.

Thing is I'm idle at the moment so I'm apprehensive about playing hardball and losing the contract.
        There's your answer just there.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Take whatever is being offered hardball = no contract unless you have massive leverage!

Comment

Like others have said it's better to be in a contract that out of one. Not worth losing a contract, especially when it's over the rate

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
              Nothing worse than this.

IF you can play hardball, I'd be tempted to say something like "Oh I've just connected Mr ClientInterviewer on LinkedIn. I'll ping him a message and find out what the story is as they didn't mention any issue with the rate at the interview".

Wouldn't be surprised if that changes things with the agent.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Nothing worse than this.

IF you can play hardball, I'd be tempted to say something like "Oh I've just connected Mr ClientInterviewer on LinkedIn. I'll ping him a message and find out what the story is as they didn't mention any issue with the rate at the interview".

Wouldn't be surprised if that changes things with the agent.
                ^^^ I'd be tempted with that as a first response to try and flush out the agent BS.

Comment

Cashflow is king. I'd take it.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

One of the most common agent margin increasing tactics - which is why it's odd to hear so many recommend the submissive approach.

Do you honestly trust they made a mistake on the role listing?

All that time to correct it, but only do so after interviewing...

Comment

Working...
                    X