• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Holidays

Hi all. New member and first post. Apologies if asked before - I did a quick search and couldn't see anything on this.

When I fill in my timesheet the hours worked tend to stack higher at the beginning of the week, so 8.5, 8.5, 8.0, 8.0, 4.0 (for Friday). My max. hours are 37 in a week as agreed unless OT has been agreed (so far it hasn't).

So my question is this. Having established this pattern, can I claim 33 hours next week when I am not working the Bank Holiday? IN actual fact, I will be stacking it higher next week so will have worked a full 37 hrs by COP Thursday.

Should I claim the whole 37 hours? I've been in my contract for only 6 weeks, so not looking to rock the boat. Is it worth me just filling in as 9.0, 9.5, 10.0, 8.5 for example and just see what happens?

I can definitely justify the hours worked and can always put it down to my inexperience as a contractor if challenged.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

If you're paid by the hour, fill in the hours worked. If you're paid by the day, fill in the days that you work.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This will a local practice thing which will vary from client to client. I'd suggest finding another contractor at the client, and asking for his opinion. Find out what is generally done. If necessary, ask your line manager.

My guess would be that you are effectively working on a "professional day" basis in practice, if not on timesheet, and the client is expecting to pay according to the number of normal working days in the week. If that is the case, it may not be well received you trying to slip in some unapproved overtime (which effectively is what you're suggesting).

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
        This will a local practice thing which will vary from client to client. I'd suggest finding another contractor at the client, and asking for his opinion. Find out what is generally done. If necessary, ask your line manager.

My guess would be that you are effectively working on a "professional day" basis in practice, if not on timesheet, and the client is expecting to pay according to the number of normal working days in the week. If that is the case, it may not be well received you trying to slip in some unapproved overtime (which effectively is what you're suggesting).
        I take your point about the unapproved OT. Thanks. I think I'll just email my line manager and ask him. That way I am just showing I don't know the answer rather than looking like I'm trying to sneak it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post

client contact, shurely?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            client contact, shurely?
            Indeed. In practice it's just terminology, but you're right, regardless.

Comment

In the past I've had many contractors reporting to me, and quite frankly I'd think you were taking the p*ss if putting anything other than what is accepted as the 'professional working day'.

So in your case 37 / 5 = 7.4.

Comment

Being relatively new to this myself, and in a similar vein... Is it appropriate to mention that you are happy to continue working over the bank holiday, whilst the FTEs are obviously out. My contract is about 3 days WFH anyway and I have enough to get on with without having to speak to a permie for the two days..

Comment

You can continue working if you want. The question you need to ask is will they be happy you billing for it? You can but ask. They may appreciate you putting the time in helping a project with a tight deadline or they might say no because they haven't budgeted for extra days or something.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You can continue working if you want. The question you need to ask is will they be happy you billing for it? You can but ask. They may appreciate you putting the time in helping a project with a tight deadline or they might say no because they haven't budgeted for extra days or something.
                    Yada, yada, common sense all that guff

Extremely disappointed in the OP really, any contractor working a bank holiday should always, at the very least, be on agreed double rate.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X