• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Informal Contract Approach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informal Contract Approach

I have been approached by an ex-colleague through LinkedIn to undertake some contract work for him.

He works for a PLC organisation and whilst there is no formal job spec in place, there is a role he would like me to undertake (I am pleased that he has come to me). Clientco do have a PSL which I would come in through, however with no formal job spec, I fear that I could end up doing stuff that I wouldn't have been expected to.

So question for those who have been informally approached as well previously, what safeguards have you used to make sure the job fits what has been described ?

Dont we already have a thread running about a guy informally asked to do some work and is now not getting paid unless he fixes all the bugs?

Forget informal, make it formal. If they aren't detailing anything then you do it and give it to them to sign. If nothing else it's going to be an IR35 nightmare.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Dont we already have a thread running about a guy informally asked to do some work and is now not getting paid unless he fixes all the bugs?

Forget informal, make it formal. If they aren't detailing anything then you do it and give it to them to sign. If nothing else it's going to be an IR35 nightmare.
      Not great advice in times of crap markets, beggars being choosers and all that.

Don't need a job spec, just a set of deliverables and scope.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

My skillset is PM/BA as opposed to coding / bug fixing, so slightly different scenario.

I am willing to prepare a role outline together with deliverables to go into the work schedule - that way I can also tailor it as required. I will discuss with the hire and see what he says.

Comment

LOL not really. Market isn't that bad. No need to start walking in with no contract and no deliverables when it's easily fixable. If someone was that desperate they wouldn't be bothered about asking on here.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Market isn't bad for everyone.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X