• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Deliverables - having a copy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Deliverables - having a copy

As part of my current role as well as in previous roles, I am creating a number of document deliverables for clientco, using what is essentially my ip (ie thought power).

I would like to have a copy of these docs (plus of couple of internal docs if truth be known) but emailing to my personal account gets flagged (clientco very hot on this) and questions asked.

Is there an obvious way to get round this, possibly attach said docs to web based mail ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    As part of my current role as well as in previous roles, I am creating a number of document deliverables for clientco, using what is essentially my ip (ie thought power).

I would like to have a copy of these docs (plus of couple of internal docs if truth be known) but emailing to my personal account gets flagged (clientco very hot on this) and questions asked.

Is there an obvious way to get round this, possibly attach said docs to web based mail ?
    I would be very careful.

Get caught doing this and often you will be terminated and walked offsite.

I have personally seen it happen on more than one occasion.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      I would be very careful.

Get caught doing this and often you will be terminated and walked offsite.

I have personally seen it happen on more than one occasion.
      Not worth the risk.

But couldn't you just copy them onto a USB stick?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        Not worth the risk.

But couldn't you just copy them onto a USB stick?
        That's even worse isn't it?

A good contract check is needed. It wouldn't be unheard of to have clauses that state anything created becomes the customers. If I was being paid to do something you'd kind of expect it. I'm not sure the OP is right saying he has the IP because it's this thought power. You create it for the client and is part of your deliverables so as soon as it tangibly exists it's not long your thought power, it's the clients document. Everyone could take every document they ever put any input in to under the 'thought power' argument.

You can't keep documents on clients estate just because you want it for obvious reasons.

I think you've got this one all wrong. The fact it's so difficult to get the doc and are having to look at convoluted work arounds to get it speaks volumes.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just because it's your thought power doesn't make the deliverable your IP, though, does it? Check your contract to make sure, but I'd be very surprised if you have any right to the stuff you create for your client (I'd be really pissed if my kitchen contractor kept insisting he could come back and fry up a couple of eggs on my stove when he felt like it...).

I've known companies resort to legal action when their IP has turned up at a competitor (usually when a permie has walked with stuff, tbh); personally, I simply don't risk getting on the wrong side of my client with anything in this area.

Comment

but emailing to my personal account gets flagged (clientco very hot on this) and questions asked.
            Sounds like you have already tried and got caught?!

Saving those docs as attachments to a draft e-mail and then accessing said account via webmail on your computer to then save the attachments might work.
            Unless your webmail access is via a VPN. In that case something more complex needs to be done and it's hardly advisable anyway.

Comment

Purely as a thought exercise on how to take a copy of the docs. Photograph the screen from your phone into OneNote. It'll OCR the text for later faffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavarella View Post

Saving those docs as attachments to a draft e-mail and then accessing said account via webmail on your computer to then save the attachments might work.
                Unless your webmail access is via a VPN. In that case something more complex needs to be done and it's hardly advisable anyway.
                The days are long gone where you could back everything up to your own personal areas, pen drives, mails etc.
                Companies are all over it.

One guy I knew of got kicked off site for sending code home, not documents just pretty much meaningless code.
                I only know as I got checked for sending a few text files of syntax to work on at home, myself, I was then told the above, guess I got lucky.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavarella View Post
                  Ha - no haven't tried nor been caught !

I have produced some really useful docs and so shame to leave them behind. However agree that it is not worth the risk and as per normal contract do become client co material, so will leave these behind as I normally (grudgingly) have to. Thought worthwhile asking the question anyhow.

Comment

Still on the premise that if you KNOW it's against the contract, you shouldn't do it, and that if you think it's against the contract you still shouldn't do it: unless internal clientco e-mail forbids people from attaching files, I'm not really sure there would be mechanisms in place to catch you saving something off your own clientco web-e-mail onto the machine you are accessing said webmail from. Unless it's VPN.

An actual e-mail sent to an external address is obviously a completely different matter and I can see how even sending a blank email to your home address could be caught and actioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X