• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flexible Working Negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to drop to 4 days a week but I've always assumed that this can only really be negotiated on the job. At the start of a contract anything that affects an agents margin can't be left to them to negotiate.

Comment

I wouldn't expect working conditions any more favourable than existing contractors or permies. Even if they really want you on board - it's just too politically awkward to start giving new contractors special favours.

The best way is to start the job, see what conditions are the norm for everyone else and then ask for those to be extended to you.

Comment

Speak to your recruitment consultant

I would never ask the client in an interview - never goes down well, even if the WFH option is there.

Ask the recruiment consultant - they should have a goood relationship with the company (may even have placed someone else at the company) so can provide you an insight potentially - though sometimes thet can be cagey so you don't decide to not do the interview.

My own experience is that WFH is starting to increase, though for contractors it is more of a challenge to get it - expensive resource, mgmt want to keep an eye on you etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
          I would never ask the client in an interview - never goes down well, even if the WFH option is there.
          It depends how you approach the subject. You should find out about the working environment and how people within client co communicate with one another at the interview. Interviews are a two way process which many on this forum forget.

Ask the recruiment consultant - they should have a goood relationship with the company (may even have placed someone else at the company) so can provide you an insight potentially - though sometimes thet can be cagey so you don't decide to not do the interview.
          In all the cases where I've been able to work from home they have known SFA about how the client works and even what work I'm expected to do.

My own experience is that WFH is starting to increase, though for contractors it is more of a challenge to get it - expensive resource, mgmt want to keep an eye on you etc.
          Mine differs.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not sure about this asking at interview idea - I can see it putting clients off a bit. Then again if it was a deal breaker for me I'd ask anyway - nothing ventured....

I think you've got to assume its no WFH unless they say otherwise. Some clients will after a bit I've found and some wont ever.

I've found that a lot of clients will provide this sort of info up front at interview without asking. Also, things like support coverage hours (i.e. you may need to be onsite at 7am some days). I guess they dont want someone to start and then moan that they weren't told.

Not sure if asking the agent is a good idea. They'll think the same as client and think OMG hes going to put client off asking that. They tend to say no even if there is a chance because they dont want to rock the boat in any way at all.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X