• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flexible Working Negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexible Working Negotiations

I am hoping to negotiate some flexible working into my next contract. Like at least a day, preferably two days working from home a week. Does anyone have a view regarding raising this at the interviews

1. Option A - Raise during interview. Positives - Secure an agreement before you start. negatives - Can lose contract just for this

2. Option B - Secure contract first then raise.

Any views at all if any of you have gone through this earlier?

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    I am hoping to negotiate some flexible working into my next contract. Like at least a day, preferably two days working from home a week. Does anyone have a view regarding raising this at the interviews

1. Option A - Raise during interview. Positives - Secure an agreement before you start. negatives - Can lose contract just for this

2. Option B - Secure contract first then raise.

Any views at all if any of you have gone through this earlier?
    Difficult one.

There have been a couple of projects I have done for my current client co where I had to be there 5 days a week to make it work.
    The current one, for the same client, I WFH 80% of the time.

I guess my point is you need to work out, during the interview, whether it would be appropriate or whether to even raise it.
    There isn't a one size fits all approach IMO.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I work on the assumption no flexibility from the off. I smash the work for the first month or two and when I've shown some value and gained their trust I'll mention it.
      I've seen contractors come in and by the end of the first week they've asked for flexibility and it just turned the client right off.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It'll be a red flag for some companies for sure, so very hard to judge, even for places where WFH IS an option for contractors.

Unless specifically mentioned in the advert, by the agent, or by the end client, I wouldn't mention it at all (unless it was such that I would NEED WFH in order to take the gig in the first place)

Comment

Raise it when they ask if there are any questions at the end.

"It's by no means a deal breaker, I was just curious if there's any flexible working possible once we've built a working relationship."

A lot of it will depend on how well you think the interview has gone though. If the interviewer seems a down the line, borderline IR35 on working practices type of person, it could be a definite chance-killer. Phrase the question as something that's a minor (maybe your third question rather than the first) and almost a throwaway.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I raised the issue right after they offered (before signing), when negotiating the rate (basically said my costs are lower if I have flexibility, so my rate comes down a bit in line with this, and I get the hours spent travelling back "for free")

Comment

Unless it's a must have / deal-breaker from your perspective then I would suggest not mentioning it at the interview. It might just jar and give them a reason to opt for an alternative candidate.

I always ask only once I'm in the role, and only after demonstrating enough effort/ engagement / delivery so that the question can't be misinterpreted as being a lack of commitment to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                I raised the issue right after they offered (before signing), when negotiating the rate (basically said my costs are lower if I have flexibility, so my rate comes down a bit in line with this, and I get the hours spent travelling back "for free")
                But you do see how the client could be pretty disappointed hearing this but they've spent time and effort finding you so they'll go along with it? You could be on the backfoot before you've even walked in the door. They might not but the fact you may have introduced a risk is there. It would piss me off and I know it's pissed my ex-client off in the past.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  But you do see how the client could be pretty disappointed hearing this but they've spent time and effort finding you so they'll go along with it? You could be on the backfoot before you've even walked in the door. They might not but the fact you may have introduced a risk is there. It would piss me off and I know it's pissed my ex-client off in the past.
                  The fact is at every client co people will be treated differently, contractors and perm.
                  This can even be the case for people that have been there some time.

When I was called by an MD about returning to current client co, I made it clear I would accept working in the same way I had before, i.e. I will be physically there when needed at my discretion .
                  His team are surprised they actually see me, who largely always have to be in, he never mentions it and we get on well.

I suspect the next client will be totally different
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

it's a deal-break for me as I live in the North/contract in the South and turning 50 this year, I'm not interested in sitting at somebody else's desk 5 days a week when I can be more productive at home.

I've approached this subject a few ways. initially it was a case of getting in the door and then hoping I can get a day from home after a few weeks of having proved myself. I've had a couple of offers on the table and pitched them against each other with regard to the flexible working. One of them flat declined so I took the other one and in the first couple of days it was evident I'd made the right choice. I've also turned down an offer to join a team where I knew for a fact they'd allow one day from home (my friend was contracting there) because they couldn't/wouldn't give a cast iron guarantee (not sure why I did that as it was a big rate as well - obviously didn't fancy the role). Current gig sees me home 3 days a week, on site for just 2 and it's WONDERFUL.

In your shoes and in the current market, I wouldn't ask the question until I'd been in the role a few weeks. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X