• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not been paid...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't know the full details but if I'd paid someone to deliver me something I'd be a bit narked if they gave me it back with issues as well to be fair. What are the chances you can fix them quickly?
    Yes. The agreement was to do unit testing which all passed on my machine. However regression pulled out issues that weren't related to the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      Ruprect - is your avatar Steve Martin (and Morris Mickelwhite) in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?
      Did the regression tests pass before?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Did the regression tests pass before?
        They have never done regression on the kits they are testing on. But if they did, it would have the same fail without question

Comment

Not been paid...

Originally posted by montyburns4 View Post
          They have never done regression on the kits they are testing on. But if they did, it would have the same fail without question
          So you didn't ask for baseline tests in advance?
          I bet you will next time.

You need to talk to them about amicable resolution. They probably would like you to fix it for free. You need to be clear on what you'll do, what you won't do and what you expect to be paid. Put it in writing once agreed and learn from the exercise.
          Last edited by Lance; 3 April 2017, 17:34.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've got a feeling this is going to be a very long thread.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by montyburns4 View Post
              Explain that the issues they describe were present before any change as a result of your code - get them to demonstrate their problems working in another environment to show that they are down to your code changes.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What does your contract say about fixing problems? Do you fix them at your cost, or do they pay for fixing them? This is a big question in the context of IR35, and is in HMRC's online tool, but it's also a big question in terms of client relationships. Your first port of call should not be an online forum, it should be to go back and see what, if anything, your contract says.

Then, you need to look at exactly what is your problem and what is preexisting problems, and probably document that thoroughly. Once you know what your contract actually says, and know what is legitimate grounds for complaint and what isn't, you're able to intelligently discuss it with them.

Comment

And also what was the defined acceptance/completion criteria in the signed contract ? Was it specific enough or have elements of vagueness, hence the situation you are now faced with ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I've got a feeling this is going to be a very long thread.
                    It doesn't need to be, as the elemental questions have been asked to hopefully inform OP on what he needs to do next.

Comment

So the original contract was to port an existing system to a new technology/platform - a like-for-like rewrite? Plus some bug-fixes to existing issues in the old system?

If that's the case then I can't see it's your responsibility to fix things they didn't tell you were broken if this would be classed as domain knowledge that's unreasonable for you to figure out.

I don't think you answered about contract clauses relating to code ownership... my inclination would be not to release code until payment but it depends what the contract says. Certainly, refusing to do further work until you've been paid for what was already done is not unreasonable.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X