• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable? v2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Well, your milage might vary, but it's weeded out many chumps for me.
    Or you've missed the good guys who CBA with technical tests?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Or you've missed the good guys who CBA with technical tests?
      But his Company is the best....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by firestarter View Post
        Join me for a tour of the IT department of any bank in the city and we'll play a game of "observe the working practises of each developer and try to tell apart the permies from the contractors."

I know a lot of you like to think you're special and a cut above the permies, but in reality you're hired because it's convenient.
        I'm not "convenient" - I won't even turn up for the Technical Tests?
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Join me for a tour of the IT department of any bank in the city and we'll play a game of "observe the working practises of each developer and try to tell apart the permies from the contractors."

I know a lot of you like to think you're special and a cut above the permies, but in reality you're hired because it's convenient.
          Yes and paid a lot more.

A lot of the problems the contracting industry are facing at the moment are caused by clients treating contractors like permanent employees and contractors happy to let them do it.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            I'm not "convenient" - I won't even turn up for the Technical Tests?
            Great, then we're both happy. We don't want some arrogant know-it-all who thinks he's above doing a simple technical test to prove he can do the thing he's being contracted to do.

Comment

HR & or company hiring policies are usually why they set technical tests. More and more roles just ask you a few simple questions to get an understanding of your technical knowhow within the actual interview.

Comment

Great, then we're both happy. We don't want some arrogant know-it-all who thinks he's above doing a simple technical test to prove he can do the thing he's being contracted to do.
                My, the children on the forum do seem to be terribly upset and irritable today...

And try reading this: http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...al-forums.html
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

You have to take into consideration the level of the engagement.

If its senior / leadership / architecture level activities then no, I wouldn't expect a technical test.
                  Not rocket science.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Looking back on this thread now and having been contracting for a year and a half my advice is - don't listen to the naysayers. I should have done this sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
                      Looking back on this thread now and having been contracting for a year and a half my advice is - don't listen to the naysayers. I should have done this sooner.
                      I think the next 6-12 months are going to be good for you too.

With all the best contractors either taking permanent roles or sitting out and waiting for the ir35 storm to pass, the less experienced and more mediocre contractors willing to take lower rates inside ir35 will be in high demand.

I suggest you keep building up your warchest.

Comment

Working...
                      X