• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable? v2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know someone who did it straight out of uni, but was friends with the owner of a small Test Consultancy Co and got started that way. To be fair, he actually did pretty well and worked up through role levels pretty quickly. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Oh feck I agree with him.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
        I honestly don't see how the experience matters. I have had the pleasure to work with contractors who are not as good as me and they get paid fairly tidy sums and seem to have no issues with getting contracts. But also I have worked with contractors who are amazing and totally know what they are doing and would blow me out of the water. It varies.
        This paragraph shows how immature you are. There is more to contracting than just technical skills.

I have read through my contract - it doesn't mention notice anywhere. That means my notice period is 1 week.

The job market is pretty hot right now. I could always go back to perm is I fail. I tend to get interviews pretty much for every perm job I apply to and there is plenty of them.
        The market may appear hot but it doesn't mean you will get a contract.

The contract role I'm doing was available for 6 months before I applied and apparently they couldn't get someone with the right skills.

So in terms of pay - I'm the one who physically transfers money around between company/personal accounts? So if at the end of the month I have money in the company account - I can pay it all out in salary/dividents?
        You do. You keep as much back as possible for when you are out of a contract for months.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          No. It means you have to serve the length of the contract.
          Huh? It's a perm contract.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            I know someone who did it straight out of uni, but was friends with the owner of a small Test Consultancy Co and got started that way. To be fair, he actually did pretty well and worked up through role levels pretty quickly. It's not impossible, but it's not easy either.
            He knew the right person and had the right social/business skills.

Newbies forget or don't realise their social and business skills are used when contracting.

Comment

I'll move now.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Huh? It's a perm contract.
                So nothing to do with your OP then...

But a perm contract without a stated notice period is illegal.

HTH. BIDI.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Contracting straight out of uni. Is it doable? v2

Fill your boots, don't sell yourself short go for £700 a day + hotel expenses if in London

Comment

£400/500 a day up North! First contract too!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      So nothing to do with your OP then...

But a perm contract without a stated notice period is illegal.

HTH. BIDI.
                      It's not illegal but stupid as it defaults to the statutory length.

Comment

Working...
                      X