• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would You take a gig that's 20% less than your usual day rate to avoid the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would You take a gig that's 20% less than your usual day rate to avoid the bench?

Just asking....

I've had a couple off long breaks over the last 3 years and coming to the end of my current contract which is only 3 months. Last time I made the mistake of being rather picky and only going for gigs of a certain rate so that it took about 4 or 5 months to get placed.

I've had a few years experience behind me now and tempted to again wait for the rate I want. However a gig has potentially come up which is 20% lower but would mean something to go into straight after my current one. Do I take it? Just wondering what the lowest people on here are or have been willing to drop to in order to keep off the bench?

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
    Just asking....

I've had a couple off long breaks over the last 3 years and coming to the end of my current contract which is only 3 months. Last time I made the mistake of being rather picky and only going for gigs of a certain rate so that it took about 4 or 5 months to get placed.

I've had a few years experience behind me now and tempted to again wait for the rate I want. However a gig has potentially come up which is 20% lower but would mean something to go into straight after my current one. Do I take it? Just wondering what the lowest people on here are our have been willing to drop to in order to keep off the bench?
    Yes, take it. I see this exact situation every single day. It's simple maths, and a false economy to wait 2 months for a higher rate contract.

That said, only you know what you need to live on, if the low rate means that you can't pay your mortage then get a perm job..

Comment

I took a drop after 6 months on the bench. Are there any other contracts lined up?

If there aren't I'd think very carefully before rejecting the only live offer on the table.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Depends way too much on, well, everything.

How's the warchest?
        Do you fancy a holiday?
        What's your market like?
        Is it close to home?
        Decent project/tech?

I've never quite understood the automatic aversion to bench time - it's one of my favourite bits, so long as the warchest is okay and I'm getting calls.

I wouldn't take a 20% hit on a contract that sees me working a million miles away with crap tech, but I wouldn't think twice if it was commutable for example.

Comment

Gone are the days of a usual day rate - its either a rate you are good with or not given the number of available contracts at the moment is fairly low.

Better to be invoicing than not unless you have a large warchest and have your feet up

Comment

I would say timing important. We now into April-May, potentially one of busiest periods.

Comment

It's not summer so I would take it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Depends. If it's 20% less because it's a crap gig that's going to put a dent in my CV then absolutely not. Like for like work, just crap rate then I'd have to look at other factors about location and the like. It's not as simple as just the money but then I've not had any long periods on the bench to be fair.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                  Just asking....

I've had a few years experience behind me now and tempted to again wait for the rate I want. However a gig has potentially come up which is 20% lower but would mean something to go into straight after my current one. Do I take it? Just wondering what the lowest people on here are or have been willing to drop to in order to keep off the bench?
                  Yes without a doubt. I had 4 months off once with enough in the bank to see me through 6 months. Any money (within reason) is better than no money.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Depends. If it's 20% less because it's a crap gig that's going to put a dent in my CV then absolutely not. Like for like work, just crap rate then I'd have to look at other factors about location and the like. It's not as simple as just the money but then I've not had any long periods on the bench to be fair.
                    It changes your perspective when you do have a few months on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                    X