• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would You take a gig that's 20% less than your usual day rate to avoid the bench?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on the bench for 4 months new because of my pig headed refusal to take a 15% rate cut. Now I will have to cut even more.

Remember, the ultimate aim of a contractor it to, for as long and as frequently as possible, KEEP INVOICING. So if nothing else available, swallow your pride and also whatever meagre bones are thrown your way. You are a businessman. Will you shut your shop if people want to pay less for your products or will you drop prices (as long as you can).

BTW, i assume you dont fancy a long holiday. Because if you did you wouldnt have asked.

Comment

Yes but with a heap of the caveats mentioned above by various people.

I don't tend to worry too much about time out but, saying that, the past two years have seen lower revenue than I'd like so I'm currently in "must earn cash" mode to top up the warchest. So, at the moment, I would absolutely take anything as long as it at least hits the minimum I need to earn to pay the bills. I'd also be looking to move on asap once something juicier comes up.

If I can't get my basics covered, then I'd give myself a very strict time limit before nipping into the dark side and taking a permie/FTC role (again with a view to jumping ship as soon as practical).

It does all depend on your circumstances and how long you're willing/able to sit on the bench for.

Comment

Working...
      X