• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Different rate discussed in the interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different rate discussed in the interview

I know this has been asked before but my Google search isn't bringing up the threads I recall seeing.

Pre-interview I had as good as no detail on the role so I said I wouldn't commit to a rate. But I did say my previous rate was £Y. To which Agent said he thought that would be higher than they would go. He was thinking roughly £Z. I had the interview today and the client stated "Your rate is £X".

Old rate is still higher than X but there was more involved and direct.
    X = Z + 17%

Assuming I'm successful, I'm not sure how to play this with the agent. The client most likely stated the agents rate, which seems a little high too me.

Am I best going straight in and saying client and I discussed my rate of X?

Thanks

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
    Am I best going straight in and saying client and I discussed my rate of X?
    Yes, if it's what you want to earn. If not, don't mention it and push for more.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Yes, if it's what you want to earn. If not, don't mention it and push for more.
      Agreed, say you thought the role was a lot more involved that you initially discussed and therefore the rate will be higher, £Y.
      Obviously, if you deemed appropriate, you could be open to reducing costs by WFH to try and help
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Client really shouldn't be discussing rate with you. Did you ask or did he offer it? It might work in your favour, other times it's going to cause problems. Looks like it could work in your favour this time but you'd think hes given you the max figure.

Up to you how you feel about the gig.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Client really shouldn't be discussing rate with you. Did you ask or did he offer it? It might work in your favour, other times it's going to cause problems. Looks like it could work in your favour this time but you'd think hes given you the max figure.

Yes but they do though, which is not always a bad thing to play in your favour with the agent if you do it in the right way.

Comment

The interviewer simply stated it at the end when working through the admin at the end. Availability, holidays, etc. It was very matter of fact, your rate is £x. I didn't think it was right to discuss it further at the time.

I'd take X or close to it as it's a local gig

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
              I'd take X or close to it as it's a local gig.
              Not that I'm asking whether I should or not.
              I'm asking based on people's experience, what's the suggested way to go with the agent, given I probably know their rate?

Comment

There are clients that have a transparency policy and is none of the agency or contractor business. Honestly, in my opinion, should be always like this. My previous client adopted that rule, if not, soon or later the contractors will end up to discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  There are clients that have a transparency policy and is none of the agency or contractor business. Honestly, in my opinion, should be always like this. My previous client adopted that rule, if not, soon or later the contractors will end up to discover.
                  Eh? How can it be transparent if it's none of the other parties business?

We've had threads on here where the the client mentioned a rate but it was the rate to agent. We've also had threads where the agent charged the contractor the client rate and had to back track. Having an expectation and then finding you are gonna get less can ruin a gig for some people.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    Eh? How can it be transparent if it's none of the other parties business?

We've had threads on here where the the client mentioned a rate but it was the rate to agent. We've also had threads where the agent charged the contractor the client rate and had to back track. Having an expectation and then finding you are gonna get less can ruin a gig for some people.
                    If the Clients want's to be transparent, you or the agency can't do anything. Would be a business rule.

There are clients that don't feel comfortable knowing that some agencies (I'm not pointing out because I don't want to look racist) are taking around 50% margins of their money. If is bad or not I believe in the Darwin theory.

Comment

Working...
                    X