• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declining a contract offer after signing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declining a contract offer after signing

Hi friends,

I have been offered a contract which I have signed. But things have changed due to some family issues and I am not in a position to provide my services for the contract. Now my contract terms do not have any clause for me to terminate the contract and there is no scope of a notice period. So my question is does a contract come into effect from the day of signing or is it effective from the day the services are supposed to start. I still have few weeks to start the contract hence evaluating my options.

If I reject to join can the agency sue for breach of contract or claim damages for the same.

They would have to demonstrate a loss, i.e. not just go and get another contractor.

Comment

Is there any right of substitution allowed?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you have a couple of weeks you get on to the agency quickly and tell them your situation. They'll probably moan like stink but hopefully they can grab the other guy that didn't get the gig in and you will be fine.

If they can't get him in or he's not suitable they'll have to find someone quickly. If this costs them more money they would be entitled to make you cover their costs. You entered in to a contract, you didn't honour it so they won't want to swallow the extra costs. Whether or not they will and if they will actually come after you, who knows.

First job is to tell the agency quickly though. Siting chatting on an online forum isn't going to fix anything.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If you have a couple of weeks you get on to the agency quickly and tell them your situation. They'll probably moan like stink but hopefully they can grab the other guy that didn't get the gig in and you will be fine.

If they can't get him in or he's not suitable they'll have to find someone quickly. If this costs them more money they would be entitled to make you cover their costs. You entered in to a contract, you didn't honour it so they won't want to swallow the extra costs. Whether or not they will and if they will actually come after you, who knows.

First job is to tell the agency quickly though. Siting chatting on an online forum isn't going to fix anything.
          Would the agency cover his costs if they pulled the plug on a gig before it started?

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
            Would the agency cover his costs if they pulled the plug on a gig before it started?
            Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by victorvn15 View Post
              Hi friends,

I have been offered a contract which I have signed. But things have changed due to some family issues and I am not in a position to provide my services for the contract. Now my contract terms do not have any clause for me to terminate the contract and there is no scope of a notice period. So my question is does a contract come into effect from the day of signing or is it effective from the day the services are supposed to start. I still have few weeks to start the contract hence evaluating my options.

If I reject to join can the agency sue for breach of contract or claim damages for the same.
              I'm not a contract/law expert but I have an impression that If there is no clause you can't be charged based on a clause that doesn't exist.
              Last edited by Bee; 28 March 2017, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                I'm not a contract expert but I have an impression that If there is no clause you can't be charged based on a clause that doesn't exist.
                Utter rubbish. The whole contract exists and he's breached it.

Guess that's what happens when a permie from another country posts on a UK contractor forum.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by victorvn15 View Post
                  Hi friends,

As a learning in addition to what others have said, make sure there are clauses in relation to these areas in any future contracts you undertake.

Now come back tomorrow and advise us that you have spoken to your agent first thing and they are going to smooth things over for your seamless removal from said contract.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Utter rubbish. The whole contract exists and he's breached it.

Guess that's what happens when a permie from another country posts on a UK contractor forum.
                    I don't allow you to make false statements without evidence.
                    If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X