• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management - Certification.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Management - Certification.

Hi.

What's the preferred certification for PM's?

Prince 2 or others?

Thanks

Chunks.

Originally posted by chunkypics View Post
    Hi.

Prince 2 or others?

Thanks

Chunks.
    Depends on the client/role.

Some places want Prince2, others ITIL, others PMP and others are just happy if you've sat a 2 day Certified Scrum Master course which involved building houses out of Lego.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkypics View Post
      Hi.

Prince 2 or others?

Thanks

Chunks.
      Experience
      "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
        Experience
        ^^ this

I got Prince 2 no one ever asked for the certificate in twenty years. Haven't renewed it since 2009. The only thing is agencies who don't understand that experience may be more important will select only those with the right qualification

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
          Experience
          Absolutely this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            ^^ this

I got Prince 2 no one ever asked for the certificate in twenty years. Haven't renewed it since 2009. The only thing is agencies who don't understand that experience may be more important will select only those with the right qualification
            Exactly. What happens is if you have the experience they don't ask for certifications.
            In my case no questions about certifications.

The agencies probably ask if they want a junior. I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              ^^ this

WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Exactly. What happens is if you have the experience they don't ask for certifications.
                In my case no questions about certifications.

The agencies probably ask if they want a junior. I think...
                PS: Just to say that with is, I'm not telling that it's useless to have a certification.

Comment

I'd completely agree that to actually do a PM job then the key quality is experience.

To get a PM role, I think the answer is less straightforward. Some agencies / HR desks will filter cvs based on key words, and often PMP and Prince will be two of those keywords used for PM roles. Without either qualification on your cv, it simply won't get past that first hurdle to get to someone who can actually assess your cv properly.

FWIW I think you're unlikely to go wrong in the UK, as far as such keyword filtering is concerned, with "Prince2 practitioner" mentioned on your cv. (And some recruitment desks will actually check that your registration is current, with potential ramifications if not - banks are very fussy about anything which is perceived as misrepresentation on your cv)

Comment

^^^ Experience ^^^
                    Plus I guess I could fall back on my CSE in Woodwork if absolutely necessary.
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                    X