• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management - Certification.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    On the other hand I've gained certs in PRINCE2 etc. told they were required for public sector roles. When I started I found its practice was nowhere to be seen.

Not sure there was ever much demand for PRINCE2, etc. outside public sector.

It seems to be a common practice for many to put these certifications on their c.v. even when they have expired. Having said that, I have seen such people hired and validity of certifications never checked.
    True, but banks check every one in my experience.

PRINCE2 is its pure form is unworkable, IMO, in any case.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      True, but banks check every one in my experience.

PRINCE2 is its pure form is unworkable, IMO, in any case.
      When I did Prince 2 years ago the main thing they taught was to learn which bits to ignore....

As for what you put on your CV..
      If you put 'expired' next to a qualification you'll never be asked to prove it.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've heard from PMs "in the know" that PMP is sought after, Prince2 is a pre requisite but never really used and CSM can be useful in true Agile teams but so few are that it becomes (like Prince2) a theoretical qualification

On the subject of certification, I did see vouchers on Groupon recently for PM packages
        Last edited by DanielRed; 3 April 2017, 14:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
          I'd completely agree that to actually do a PM job then the key quality is experience.

To get a PM role, I think the answer is less straightforward. Some agencies / HR desks will filter cvs based on key words, and often PMP and Prince will be two of those keywords used for PM roles. Without either qualification on your cv, it simply won't get past that first hurdle to get to someone who can actually assess your cv properly.

FWIW I think you're unlikely to go wrong in the UK, as far as such keyword filtering is concerned, with "Prince2 practitioner" mentioned on your cv. (And some recruitment desks will actually check that your registration is current, with potential ramifications if not - banks are very fussy about anything which is perceived as misrepresentation on your cv)

I think this one has got it right - there are a lot of people quoting "experience", but that doesn't help you when a recruiter is searching key words only...

The fact is, a lot of the big banks want to see a sensible mix of both:

- Solid, relevant experience
          - Related courses / degrees / certificates / etc

Some have already mentioned that certain firms don't give two hoots about the courses. In my experience, this is not the case. Our experience and knowledge is number 1 for recruiters, but your "extras" (eg courses) comes a good second.

eg I have 20 x CVs in front of me. Invariably there will be a 3-4 that catches the eye. All have excellent relevant experience. All good solid 4 x CVs

A couple have bothered to do a few relevant courses on top of the extensive experience, while the others expect their experience to speak for itself. I'll pick for interviews the 2 who have just as good experience, but also kept their skills uptodate with courses / learning new stuff. Its nice to see.

Courses do not get you any job, but they help your CV (a tiny weeny bit, don't expect floods of offers just because of Prince2).

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
            I think this one has got it right - there are a lot of people quoting "experience", but that doesn't help you when a recruiter is searching key words only...

The fact is, a lot of the big banks want to see a sensible mix of both:

- Solid, relevant experience
            - Related courses / degrees / certificates / etc

Some have already mentioned that certain firms don't give two hoots about the courses. In my experience, this is not the case. Our experience and knowledge is number 1 for recruiters, but your "extras" (eg courses) comes a good second.

eg I have 20 x CVs in front of me. Invariably there will be a 3-4 that catches the eye. All have excellent relevant experience. All good solid 4 x CVs

A couple have bothered to do a few relevant courses on top of the extensive experience, while the others expect their experience to speak for itself. I'll pick for interviews the 2 who have just as good experience, but also kept their skills uptodate with courses / learning new stuff. Its nice to see.

Courses do not get you any job, but they help your CV (a tiny weeny bit, don't expect floods of offers just because of Prince2).
            Might be nice to see, but I have interviewed plenty of people with certs who knew jack all, even though the CV sung to me too.
            So, it then follows that I have picked and subsequently worked with great people some certificated, some non-certificated.

Which then leads me back to the same place, certificates don't really help
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Might be nice to see, but I have interviewed plenty of people with certs who knew jack all, even though the CV sung to me too.
              So, it then follows that I have picked and subsequently worked with great people some certificated, some non-certificated.

Which then leads me back to the same place, certificates don't really help

Annnnd I could say the same about CVs that sung / shouted "experience" and ended up being anything but... god awful interviews

The point is - in a market full of "experience", it doesn't hurt to have a few courses and such in your pocket.

Comment

Working...
              X