• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    This happened to me in my first contract - I panicked for a bit, then got on the phone and managed to get a new contract ready to start the following Monday on more money. When one door closes another one opens...
    Nothing sweeter than when somebody asks what you will do or where you can go;

Bam, will be working at X and start next week.

They half expect a sob story, and mention of bench time.

Nothing better than to show them you have value.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 28 March 2017, 12:48.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
      Not sure whether I made this clear but I'm being replaced by another contractor not a permie....now you see why it makes even less sense? ?!
      No, you didn't make it clear that it was another contractor. It's you. Sorry.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        No, you didn't make it clear that it was another contractor. It's you. Sorry.
        Ouch

And I thought I was the direct one
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
          I can sympathise with the OP. If they had been on the bench for 3-6 months and then they win a juicy 10 month contract and only then have theirs legs cut away underneath. It is b****cks situation. You can never genuinely trust clients and/or agents. Certainly I have not myself found an easy silver bullet way verify the authenticity of clients. "We have 18 month projects. There is plenty of scope of work."
          That's contractor's life.

I know one case that was hired a lot of contractors and 3 months after, all the projects were cancelled due to the priority of a major one. One of the contractors stayed only 2 weeks, it was the time to arrive and give the notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
            I know as a contractor if the client decides to get rid of you early then that's their prerogative but, all the same, is it normal and common for them to do this with no real justification?

Two and a half months into a 10 month contract I've just been given the news that I'be been served 4 weeks notice to finish by my client. The reason being that there has been a 're-org' within my area and a new member of my team whom I was informed would be joining I soon found out after returning from my holiday was in fact replacing me. When speaking to my line manager I asked her if my performance was not satisfactory or I had done something wrong to be terminated early but she was adamant that I had done nothing and it has happened to her in the past. Not really a comfort but I don't understand why I was not moved into another part of the area or why I was replaced when it would take longer for this person to be trained up etc.

The worst part was that I discovered by an email distributed to the wider team that said new person had started to do the exact job I was doing whilst I was on holiday rather than being told by my manager beforehand. She said she had no idea that this new guy would be brought in but the timing and explanations just don't seem to add up. Anyone else experienced this and am I overreacting to the news? I've never received any bad feedback yet I am the only one in my team who's been replaced due to the re-org! Even a recent guy whose contract was terminated early was given a reason I. E management style was pretty bad. I feel that this makes me look like I am at fault and concerned that an early terminated contract will not look good when going for other opportunities. This had never haopened to me before so a bit shell shocked. .
            TL;DR.

Don't forget your stuff on your way out....

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You lot are mean.

But just to be pedantic the bloke in that picture looks too happy.

FTFY

Last edited by northernladuk; 28 March 2017, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                TL;DR.

Don't forget your stuff on your way out....

Real contractors don't leave things on client site.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

Real contractors don't leave things on client site.
                  I don't.

The OP might.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You lot are mean.

But just to be pedantic the bloke in that picture looks too happy.

FTFY
                  Epic fail. The guys ginger, he could be crying about that
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

Disguised permies adhere to the client site clear desk policy.
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Epic fail. The guys ginger, he could be crying about that
                      OMG

Comment

Working...
                      X