• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    she was adamant that I had done nothing
    There you go she gave you the reason it just hadn't sunk in

Now take the positive advice (or advise if you're that way inclined) the previous respondents have provided and move on.
    Last edited by DallasDad; 27 March 2017, 18:35. Reason: No glasses = spolling mistooks
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Agent: Why did you leave your last contract?
      You: The contract came to a natural end, the client had no more work for me that I was prepared to accept, so I left. If I need to explain how contracting works to you, maybe you're the wrong agent for me to deal with.

It's quite simple.

Unless you know the agent that you are talking to really well - in which case, tell them the whole truth about how you were shafted because the client wanted to replace you with a permie. If the agent has a role they can sell you into, they won't care why you left because they are already spending the commission on more hair gel.
      Not sure whether I made this clear but I'm being replaced by another contractor not a permie....now you see why it makes even less sense? ?!

Comment

He's cheaper.
        He's shagging the client manager.
        Hes better
        He's putting long hours in for free. He's got a long history with the client.
        He's useful for something coming up.

Any makes sense.
        Either way, doesn't matter now.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 27 March 2017, 19:59.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
          Not sure whether I made this clear but I'm being replaced by another contractor not a permie....now you see why it makes even less sense? ?!
          He's the managing director's son-in-law.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            He's cheaper.
            He's shagging the client manager.
            Hes better
            He's putting long hours in for free. He's got a long history with the client.
            He's useful for something coming up.

Any makes sense.
            Either way, doesn't matter now.
            This ^^...
            You are just burning your nerves for nothing, just move forward.

Comment

Hasn't worked out how you hoped. Happens to the best of us.

Finish up making as little impact as possible then move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                In the civilised world, there is always a justification.
                I can sympathise with the OP. If they had been on the bench for 3-6 months and then they win a juicy 10 month contract and only then have theirs legs cut away underneath. It is b****cks situation. You can never genuinely trust clients and/or agents. Certainly I have not myself found an easy silver bullet way verify the authenticity of clients. "We have 18 month projects. There is plenty of scope of work."

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  This ^^...
                  You are just burning your nerves for nothing, just move forward.
                  OP: Well we do not know your communication, interpersonal and other soft skills.

* Not adding enough value
                  * Continuously fighting the SCRUM master / team or project or program manager / manageress
                  * Passive aggressive behaviour
                  * Not working as a team player (clearing off work too early, declining a team bonding night even if it is alcoholic (just have orange juice or coke or something)
                  * Over reaching (being a chatter box or taking up too many people's personal spaces / asking too many question for your professioanl level)
                  * Under reaching (keeping to yourself too much / not asking enough questions to get work done and then it is late / getting the requirements completely wrong)
                  * Conflict with other employees or other contractors
                  * Racism / religion / mysogny
                  * Not making enough tea or coffee ( or not offering up to make or get tea or coffee when it is your turn)
                  * Who knows but you
                  Last edited by rocktronAMP; 28 March 2017, 10:16. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    I can sympathise with the OP. If they had been on the bench for 3-6 months and then they win a juicy 10 month contract and only then have theirs legs cut away underneath. It is b****cks situation. You can never genuinely trust clients and/or agents. Certainly I have not myself found an easy silver bullet way verify the authenticity of clients. "We have 18 month projects. There is plenty of scope of work."
                    I think plenty on here have sympathy for the OP, I too have had a contract terminated early and was given the Brexit decision as the reason the project was canned. There is no way to "authenticate" clients and their "projects". Things change and they're perfectly entitled to decide that they no longer require your services just as contractors are entitled to serve notice and walk on a contract if it's not for them.

Comment

Not actually terminated early but sailing close.

My current contract started 4 weeks ago on the Monday (6 months, plenty of pipeline work etc). Tuesday, urgent meeting for all IT Team at 1:30.

Lots of projects canned suddenly. 2 contractors let go (with 4 weeks notice though). 2 of my 3 projects, stopped.

Yet, still here 4 weeks later having not yet been given notice. I have been told though that I would be wise to 'look for something else and if found, I'd be let go immediately if I wanted'

Obviously disappointed but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes. Not nice all the same. Tis the nature of the beast

Comment

Working...
                      X