• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Terminating My Contract Early With No Valid Reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
    So what do I say to other potential clients? The truth? I just get the impression that clients and agencies alike become rather suspicious when you explain your contract was terminated early due to a re-org. Sounds like a lame reason. Another contractor friend of mine advised I just say my contract was a 3 month one to avoid questions but I'm not so sure about telling porkies...
    Your contract is whatever time you have worked plus your notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
      Your contract is whatever time you have worked plus your notice period.
      Not really. The don't have to offer you work during your notice so effectively instant termination.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So what do I say to other potential clients? The truth? I just get the impression that clients and agencies alike become rather suspicious when you explain your contract was terminated early due to a re-org. Sounds like a lame reason. Another contractor friend of mine advised I just say my contract was a 3 month one to avoid questions but I'm not so sure about telling porkies...
        You had a 3 month contract and weren't kept on due to them finding a permanent replacement sooner than they had expected. Move along, nothing to see. Here's a , now man up and back on the market.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I know as a contractor if the client decides to get rid of you early then that's their prerogative but, all the same, is it normal and common for them to do this with no real justification?

In the civilised world, there is always a justification.

Comment

I can imagine it would be quite a knock to your confidence being given the boot for no valid reason. But in my mind being a contractor you have to be prepared for those potential problems. Put it this way, this has happened early into your contract with the client and has shown you what type of client they really are rather than 6 months down the line when your reasonably comfortable in the position.

I'd take the opportunity to speak to the client and arrange a bit of flexibility around searching for your new contract, leaving early for an interview, forgive you for taking multiple Agency phone calls during the day. Just thank yourself lucky, you're being paid for 4 weeks of job searching.

Comment

Two and a half months into a 10 month contract I've just been given the news that I'be been served 4 weeks notice to finish by my client. The reason being that there has been a 're-org' within my area and a new member of my team whom I was informed would be joining I soon found out after returning from my holiday was in fact replacing me.
              No reason, except for the reason.

Seems reasonable.

Early in a contracting career, it is quite common to react like a permie would to "events". You need to get used to the fact you are not a permie any more. You are a flexible resource.

Comment

This happened to me in my first contract - I panicked for a bit, then got on the phone and managed to get a new contract ready to start the following Monday on more money. When one door closes another one opens...

Comment

Agent: Why did you leave your last contract?
                  You: The contract came to a natural end, the client had no more work for me that I was prepared to accept, so I left. If I need to explain how contracting works to you, maybe you're the wrong agent for me to deal with.

It's quite simple.

Unless you know the agent that you are talking to really well - in which case, tell them the whole truth about how you were shafted because the client wanted to replace you with a permie. If the agent has a role they can sell you into, they won't care why you left because they are already spending the commission on more hair gel.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I changed from Permie to Contracting 7 years ago and it take some time to change the mind-set. When starting a contract I feel you have to have an open mind about the contract length. You may not like the role, they might not like you. The contract could get extended, you could be given notice early. All these are possible and you should be prepared accordingly.
                    At least for the O/P. however disappointing, at least you have 4 weeks’ notice and time to look around while still invoicing.
                    One other experience I’d pass on, is to leave the Client in as positive way as you can. Thank them for the opportunity and wish them well. You never know, you might get invited back one day
                    Good luck.
                    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Move on it happens all the time. 10 months is usually 3 months + 3 months extension then they keep you until a replacement is found in this case sooner rather than later. All contracts are only worth the amount of time your billing onsite forgot the notice period or contract length they are nice to haves not ever guaranteed as clients can wiggle out of anything if they really want to!

Comment

Working...
                      X