• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to contracting?

I have been offered a contract position paying £600 pd, for an initial period of 6 months. My calculations show that the monthly take home pay would be around £4668 when counting only 23 working weeks per year, which is the worst case if they don’t extend the contract after 6 months.

My perm base salary is around net £4500 per month, when counting the bonus it could go up to around £5700, but that can never be guaranteed, and it’s rather tough to get.

Comparing my base salary and my 6 month contract value, it’s seems it’s a no brainer as I’ll earn almost the same for only 6 months.

However, I still have my doubts, especially because of the state of the contract market. Also, this bonus is always at the back of my mind. Any advice appreciated

Originally posted by loden View Post
    I have been offered a contract position paying £600 pd, for an initial period of 6 months. My calculations show that the monthly take home pay would be around £4668 when counting only 23 working weeks per year, which is the worst case if they don’t extend the contract after 6 months.

My perm base salary is around net £4500 per month, when counting the bonus it could go up to around £5700, but that can never be guaranteed, and it’s rather tough to get.

Comparing my base salary and my 6 month contract value, it’s seems it’s a no brainer as I’ll earn almost the same for only 6 months.

However, I still have my doubts, especially because of the state of the contract market. Also, this bonus is always at the back of my mind. Any advice appreciated
    Don't go contracting for money, it's rarely that simple and may not be that profitable. Work out all the deductions you will have to make even if you're outside IR35 - CT, both NICs, PAYE, admin, insurances and so on - and do it yourself, don't rely on the calculators which are invariably optimistic. Also you will no longer have a career or training or sick pay or any kind of holidays (including statutory ones) or a pile of other stuff you don't have to think about now.

If it's still all good then go for it, but at least you will know what you're facing. And FWIW (although others disagree), your £600 a day contract is very roughly not all that much more at the end of the day as your current job when you add it all the hidden extras.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The second gig is the hardest one. OK waiting until one falls in your lap but when is the second one going to land when you've got no income. A week, 3 weeks, a couple of months? You've got to look at the bigger picture, not the golden eggs that's lander in your lap. That's the easy one.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. Are there lots of contracts around for the skills you have? So if you get canned a week after starting the contract because the project is pulled you can find another one. Also be aware that agencies frequently lie about the length of contracts. I've had contracts that the agency has said is 3 months but the client only needed me for two, or the agency said is 3 months but the actual project was planned and lasted just over a year.

2. Do you have a warchest of at least 6 months? So if you get canned you can still afford to pay your mortgage and eat while you sort out another role. I've had projects canned early.

3. Are you prepared to work all over the country plus in Europe to minimise your time on the bench? Are you prepared to see your family only at weekends for years at a time? If you aren't or can't then you need a warchest of 12 months. I know some contractors aren't allowed to work away from home due to agreements with their other half. However their other half makes a decent living so it isn't a problem financially if they don't work for around a year.

4. Do you have any caring responsibilities? Not all clients are happy for you to come in late, leave early or pop off in the middle of the day for a short time to fulfil those responsibilities. However employers do give allowances for permanent staff.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's about my day rate, give or take. I wouldn't leave a £85k-ish plus bonus perm job to go contracting if you are doing it for the money.

Why are you thinking of jumping?

Comment

Having said that, if you plan to continue contracting, and can be tax efficient with your personal income, and you can get future roles, you will be better off.

Comment

Out of interest how did you calculations get to £4668 a month from £600 per day rate?

Comment

If you have a family to support & or mortgage & big bills to pay stay perm contracting is changing rapidly its getting harder to maintain a lengthy in work pattern for most.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  1. Are there lots of contracts around for the skills you have? So if you get canned a week after starting the contract because the project is pulled you can find another one. Also be aware that agencies frequently lie about the length of contracts. I've had contracts that the agency has said is 3 months but the client only needed me for two, or the agency said is 3 months but the actual project was planned and lasted just over a year.

2. Do you have a warchest of at least 6 months? So if you get canned you can still afford to pay your mortgage and eat while you sort out another role. I've had projects canned early.

3. Are you prepared to work all over the country plus in Europe to minimise your time on the bench? Are you prepared to see your family only at weekends for years at a time? If you aren't or can't then you need a warchest of 12 months. I know some contractors aren't allowed to work away from home due to agreements with their other half. However their other half makes a decent living so it isn't a problem financially if they don't work for around a year.

4. Do you have any caring responsibilities? Not all clients are happy for you to come in late, leave early or pop off in the middle of the day for a short time to fulfil those responsibilities. However employers do give allowances for permanent staff.
                  5. Do you want to/have to create/maintain IP without your employer claiming rights to it?
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
                    That's about my day rate, give or take. I wouldn't leave a £85k-ish plus bonus perm job to go contracting if you are doing it for the money.

Why are you thinking of jumping?
                    My reason is financial only. Well, there has to be some leap of faith. Hoping always for the best, right? Otherwise you guys contractors won't be around, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X