• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loden View Post
    My reason is financial only. Well, there has to be some leap of faith. Hoping always for the best, right? Otherwise you guys contractors won't be around, right?
    Yeah, right... Well, best of luck. Let us know how you get on.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My reason is financial only. Well, there has to be some leap of faith. Hoping always for the best, right? Otherwise you guys contractors won't be around, right?
      Whatever....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Whatever....
        When I think about it more, it's not financial reasons only. Contracting will give me the flexibility to change projects, clients, etc. With my current perm job, once I go past the 6 month probation period, I'll be then bound by a 3 month notice period. This is what actually bothers me most. It's like closing my door to contracting forever.

The notice period..is it someting I can renegotiate with the employer, to say 1 month?

Comment

When I think about it more, it's not financial reasons only. Contracting will give me the flexibility to change projects, clients, etc. With my current perm job, once I go past the 6 month probation period, I'll be then bound by a 3 month notice period. This is what actually bothers me most. It's like closing my door to contracting forever.

The notice period..is it someting I can renegotiate with the employer, to say 1 month?
          Contractors don't have notice periods: it can be argued that they are a bad idea for a contractor anyway. You're there to deliver something but you're also there as a resource to be dumped as soon as you're no longer needed. A lot of contracts don't allow the contractor to give notice anyway.

The one thing you have to do is lose the ideas behind permanent employment. None of them apply: no help, no HR support, no paid time off, no loyalty, no training and no career progression. You can safely bet on not working more than seven months a year on average - which is five months with no income. You are in competition with very good people who have been doing your job for years and are a proven asset. Be very clear about what that means to both you and whatever family you have.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

it seems you are all discouraging him from going contracting!

It is always going to be a leap of faith going from perm to contracting after all most of us have bills to pay.

And for most it is always about money (well at least for all the contractors that I know) ...... though after a while that changes

You just have to man/woman up to your decisions

No risk No reward

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
              Yes because people need to be realistic.

There has been an attack both purposely and unpurposely by different Chancellors on contractors.

It is always going to be a leap of faith going from perm to contracting after all most of us have bills to pay.
              Lots of contractors I know started either when they were made redundant or when they didn't have kids and a mortgage.

And for most it is always about money (well at least for all the contractors that I know) ...... though after a while that changes

No risk No reward
              Yep but people need to be aware of the risks and also need to understand when companies are taking the p*ss.

Comment

No risk No reward
                I wouldn't view it as discouraging from going contracting, it's about having your eyes wide open to the potential risks that go with the headline figure.

Fundamentally I agree with the no risk no reward comment and is one of the reasons I went contracting in the first place. However, with the rhetoric over recent years and attacks on the contracting sector (just look at IR35 in the Public Sector) means that the risk/reward ratio now needs to be reconsidered.

Given the recent NI budget debacle the government will be looking for other source of tax and our sector is an easy one to attempt to milk.

Only the OP can make the decision to go contracting but for the figures being suggested I think you'd be nuts to chop in a permanent role for the offer on the table. Contracting is only going to get harder for those of us left in the sector as it is now until the perceived advantage we are getting has been well and truly neutralised. I for one am expecting yet another attack in the Autumn budget which will make our lives just that bit more difficult.

Comment

Read this before going for contracting. It seems IT contracting will be affected sooner than most of us anticipated. June-17 can be the D-Day. I don't trust these *diots telling me that "no deal is better than a bad deal". So expect the worst from them when the reality of Brexit starts biting on the gvt finances.

Theresa May to Abolish Contracting Profession in June

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                    Read this before going for contracting. It seems IT contracting will be affected sooner than most of us anticipated. June-17 can be the D-Day. I don't trust these *diots telling me that "no deal is better than a bad deal". So expect the worst from them when the reality of Brexit starts biting on the gvt finances.

Theresa May to Abolish Contracting Profession in June
                    More Mc Laugh In nonsense. Ignore him and his clickbait site. The r real situation is way more complicated but does not include killing off contracting.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      More Mc Laugh In nonsense. Ignore him and his clickbait site. The r real situation is way more complicated but does not include killing off contracting.
                      He's stared two other threads on it. Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                      X