• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract advise & guidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract advise & guidance

Hello All,

I do really appreciate your advise. Taking your time out on this means an awful lot - virtual pint on me!

Anyhow. Got my first contractor interview with a council.

1. How should this be any different from a normal company interview? I believe I'm meeting a project manager or someone who has no knowledge of IT
    2. It's in a council how should I approach IR35? I will be moving to the area and much will be spent on rent, during the weekends I'll be coming back home (not sure if it's worth it, if they deem the contract inside IR35 as large chunk will go on rent)
    3. I haven't setup my LTD yet should I do this now or after I get the contract?
    4. Will the council pay weekly for the first month to make life easier on the move? (Else can someone loan against an invoice I have bad credit)

Huge concern I'll spend about 2k moving to the location say I start on Monday & what if they suspend the contract after it being signed by both parties?

Lastly any tips securing my first contract at interview would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

It's ADVICE!! You want advice!

Read as much of this area as you can because you will be contracting with a Public Sector Client.
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/public-sector-ir35/

Read the newbie guides to the right, particularly the IR35 elements. That will explain what the fuss in the link above is.

Your contract should be signed between the client and your company. Not you as a person. The IR35 and newbie guides will explain why.

No. 4 - No. They will pay as per the contract. No one is there to hold your hand.

A contract is only as long as it's notice period. Spending 2k to move to carry out a short term contract sounds like a bad investment. If you are inside IR35 you can't claim any travel or subsistence at all.

I think you've got a hell of a lot of reading to do.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 March 2017, 14:49.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Qscontractor View Post
      Hello All,

I do really appreciate your advise. Taking your time out on this means an awful lot - virtual pint on me!

Anyhow. Got my first contractor interview with a council.

1. How should this be any different from a normal company interview? I believe I'm meeting a project manager or someone who has no knowledge of IT
      2. It's in a council how should I approach IR35? I will be moving to the area and much will be spent on rent, during the weekends I'll be coming back home (not sure if it's worth it, if they deem the contract inside IR35 as large chunk will go on rent)
      3. I haven't setup my LTD yet should I do this now or after I get the contract?
      4. Will the council pay weekly for the first month to make life easier on the move? (Else can someone loan against an invoice I have bad credit)

Huge concern I'll spend about 2k moving to the location say I start on Monday & what if they suspend the contract after it being signed by both parties?

Lastly any tips securing my first contract at interview would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
      Besides pointing your English errors they will ask you to read all the IR35 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        Besides pointing your English errors they will ask you to read all the IR35 threads.
        Why are you even commenting? Crap post, 6 minutes too late. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Why are you even commenting? Crap post, 6 minutes too late. Thanks.

Comment

Don't you already have a company?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/publi...ml#post2385656

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
              Nope left my perm role to get into contracting. P.S. everyone else clearly I'm new to all this stuff. I have spent hours on this forum and reading articles and read some conflicting information. Slightly nervous as my first interview is next week and thought I'd just ask a few questions for clear direction. Apologies if they've been answered before haven't seen the answers or there conflicting.

If no one has value to add to this thread, find someone better to do then take the p*ss out of someone seeking advise. Not everyone one has the same brain cells as you. You might be a network engineer expert, I might be a sound engineer experts get it?
              Sorry for coming across as a joke / dumb or what ever you assume. I'm happy the way I am and wouldn't change it for the world!

Comment

You'll be much happier if your start using the word advice instead of advise IMO HTH

Comment

Nope left my perm role to get into contracting. P.S. everyone else clearly I'm new to all this stuff. I have spent hours on this forum and reading articles and read some conflicting information. Slightly nervous as my first interview is next week and thought I'd just ask a few questions for clear direction. Apologies if they've been answered before haven't seen the answers or there conflicting.

If no one has value to add to this thread, find someone better to do then take the p*ss out of someone seeking advise. Not everyone one has the same brain cells as you. You might be a network engineer expert, I might be a sound engineer experts get it?
                  Sorry for coming across as a joke / dumb or what ever you assume. I'm happy the way I am and wouldn't change it for the world!
                  I'm not the right person to help you, but I'm confident that you will find someone with brains (no offence) that could give you at least a direction.

Thank you for your time.
                  Last edited by Bee; 24 March 2017, 15:30.

Comment

The most comprehensive guides are on the IPSE site (www.ipse.co.uk). Download both their guide to freelancing and their guide to IR35 in the Public Sector and read them carefully.

HTH
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X