• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to Copenhagen?

Contract. 1 week onsite in Copenhagen then approx 8-10 weeks remote work. With a one day further meeting needed.

Rate is excellent. Almost double normal rates BUT no expenses paid (i.e pay for own travel and hotel out of rate).

Certainly sounds like fun. I reckon I can get flights for about £200 return and hotels don't seem too expensive.

Trouble is payment is in DKK which, I guess, could be a right PITA. I've got a euro account (used in gig a few years ago) and that cost a few % to convert to sterling. I guess you can't open a DKK account so would need to suck up the conversion when you get paid.

Only problem is they've sent me a "detailed" list of the work necessary and, to be honest, I guess they think its detailed but it doesnt really give much info.

Its also a skillset that I've got tons of experience in the past but not so much the latest stuff so I'm a bit rusty. What did Richard Branson say - accept the work then learn how to do it? :-)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Ah Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen, tis a friendly old girl of a town.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I watched "The Killing" on TV - looked nice place....

Went to Helsinki and Oslo years ago with work but never Copenhagen. Bloody freezing it was. But then it was december.

I was lucky enough to also go to Rome in the summer though. And Budapest, Brussels, Prague. Decent permie job that was.

Comment

Going tomorrow for a couple of nights. I'll let you know. Our flights were less than £50 return on EasyJet.

For being paid in DKK - if the amounts are sufficient you could have the client send the money to a forex service who then transfer the sterling to your company's account. I did this with my last (remote) contract with a UK company, using these guys: https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/ Cheaper than allowing your bank to do the conversion.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Doesn't Stek live out in Denmark?
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Going tomorrow for a couple of nights. I'll let you know. Our flights were less than £50 return on EasyJet.

For being paid in DKK - if the amounts are sufficient you could have the client send the money to a forex service who then transfer the sterling to your company's account. I did this with my last (remote) contract with a UK company, using these guys: https://www.ofx.com/en-gb/ Cheaper than allowing your bank to do the conversion.
            I used currencyfair before for euros. This was slightly different though - it got paid into my euro account then I transferred out to currency fair converted it then back into sterling account.

Currency fair is good BTW. Peer to peer currency exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

from London?

Comment

Yo be fair, reading all that I am not sure why Copenhagen is an issue. Looks irrelevant compared to the benefits.

Although I can see the complexity of booking some flights and hotels so guess it warrants a thread.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  from London?
                  Er no. Basel. But they do go from Gatwick and it's pretty cheap if booked enough in advance.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Use transferwise for transferring foreign currency, much much better than any bank rate

Comment

Working...
                    X