• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Rate

Hi

I've got over 22 years experience in IT Architecting (Which includes AD, Networks, XenDesktop etc).

I left my full time employer, and now they want to contract me in for 3 to 6 months as they can't get anyone with my experience. I don't know how long the contract will be, I'm there until they can find a suitable replacement.

The work is easy and basically Windows Support, covering Desktop and Servers.

I am being asked what my hourly rate is. Is £50+VAT a bit steep? I am going through an agency.

I'll only be working 4 days a week and this is my first proper contract so I don't really know what to charge.

Thanks

James

You're going back to the same company to do the same role?

You'll need to factor in that you're inside IR35. That means full PAYE and no expenses.

Your location will make a difference too, with London rates higher than elsewhere.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

£50 + VAT is about right agencies pay anywhere between £250-450 a day + VAT for these roles in banking so £50 ph is dead on the money.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Same Company, but I should of said a different role.
        I'd say the contract will last 3 months as they are looking for someone to fill the position. They are desperate and having a hard time finding the right person.

Comment

Originally posted by calibra View Post
          Thanks for the replies

Same Company, but I should of said a different role.
          I'd say the contract will last 3 months as they are looking for someone to fill the position. They are desperate and having a hard time finding the right person.
          If it's an easy commute, yes, 50+VAT should be fine.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

OK, thanks for the replies. I'll go with that

Comment

A number of things don't seem right here to me. I think you are seriously under estimating the issue with going back to your old employer for a start and warrants a very detailed bit of research.

You say it's Windows support covering desktops and servers. They can find the skills for that. I'm finding that very hard to believe and am wondering if it's your knowledge of their systems they want and if so you could quite easily fall in to part and parcel etc.

Support and BAU type roles are also potential IR35 traps as you could easily be under D&C and be asked to do other work associated put of the scope of the other agreement. It's also difficult to make a BAU role sound short term with fixed deliverables.

Filling permie positions as well...

And then there is the fact as a contractor you are only as good as your last gig. Spend too long in this one and you may struggle getting gigs at your normal level of ability.

I'd say you need to think long and hard about this one rather than looking at it as a nice safe gig.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi

I've got over 22 years experience in IT Architecting (Which includes AD, Networks, XenDesktop etc).

I left my full time employer, and now they want to contract me in for 3 to 6 months as they can't get anyone with my experience. I don't know how long the contract will be, I'm there until they can find a suitable replacement.

The work is easy and basically Windows Support, covering Desktop and Servers.

I am being asked what my hourly rate is. Is £50+VAT a bit steep? I am going through an agency.

I'll only be working 4 days a week and this is my first proper contract so I don't really know what to charge.

Thanks

James
                £50p/h + vat for a basic wintel support. I find it hard to believe they are struggling to find anyone, unless they are offer a crap perm salary.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  A number of things don't seem right here to me. I think you are seriously under estimating the issue with going back to your old employer for a start and warrants a very detailed bit of research.

You say it's Windows support covering desktops and servers. They can find the skills for that. I'm finding that very hard to believe and am wondering if it's your knowledge of their systems they want and if so you could quite easily fall in to part and parcel etc.

Support and BAU type roles are also potential IR35 traps as you could easily be under D&C and be asked to do other work associated put of the scope of the other agreement. It's also difficult to make a BAU role sound short term with fixed deliverables.

Filling permie positions as well...

And then there is the fact as a contractor you are only as good as your last gig. Spend too long in this one and you may struggle getting gigs at your normal level of ability.

I'd say you need to think long and hard about this one rather than looking at it as a nice safe gig.
                  It sounds to me like there's part and parcel written all over this.

Comment

Contract Rate

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    £50 + VAT is about right agencies pay anywhere between £250-450 a day + VAT for these roles in banking so £50 ph is dead on the money.
                    get to f***. 22 yrs experience, Inside IR35, a company that knows you can do the job. Start at £80 ph.

Edit: 65 maybe. OPs knowledge is worth a good deal.
                    Last edited by Lance; 22 March 2017, 20:29.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X