• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weeks worked per year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    It's a strech yeah, but it can be done. I'm there only for the money. My plan is to do contracting for a max of another 5 years, before I'm in my mid forties. It's a fu*up lifestyle anyway, especially if you're in London. Zero quality of life. I don't want to end up like my older colleagues, look like tulip, complain bout anything...
    I'm moving then to Southern Europe, buy a nice house, enjoy my life with my kids and family.
    Hopefully it doesn't end up in a gansta style- let's do another hit and then another one, and so on...
    You clearly go for the wrong contracts.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Funny......I was just about to say that.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Hmm, what's a "right" contract? And how long will this "right" contract last until you get into the "wrong" one? Dig that, guess that's fine when you're in your early thirties...Sorry can't be sold on that one. Five more years and I'm out.

Comment

Hmm, what's a "right" contract? And how long will this "right" contract last until you get into the "wrong" one? Dig that, guess that's fine when you're in your early thirties...Sorry can't be sold on that one. Five more years and I'm out.
          Right contract = any that are mainly work from home or you don't complain about quality of life.

I turned down a contract last year on outskirts of London as I was expected to start at 9 which means sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour. Journey would take less than that if started earlier.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 24 March 2017, 06:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            Trouble is, I'm married to a highly efficient money spending machine who instantly thinks any contact is an ongoing steady state situation
            Yep I know the feeling.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Right contract = any that are mainly work from home or you don't complain about quality of life.

I turned down a contract last year on outskirts of London as I was expected to start at 9 which means sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour. Journey would take less than that if started earlier.

And the good thing is you are now early 30's, can I be too
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                As few as possible to keep the bills paid and the retirement fund growing.

Just handed in notice to current role (too much travel, not enough personal time) so self benching. Planning to stay benched until at least August, so this year probably aim for 100 days which is what i'll aim for now for the next 8 years until I early retire

When i first started contracting 200+ days was the norm but I'm much wiser now ... let the youngsters work the extra hours, whilst us older guys enjoy life

This.

80-100 days a year is what I aim for too. On let's say £450 or £500 a day I see no reason to need any more than that.

Time runs out much faster than the money does!

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
                  This.

80-100 days a year is what I aim for too. On let's say £450 or £500 a day I see no reason to need any more than that.

Time runs out much faster than the money does!
                  Not at that point yet. Want to make as much as possible in the next 5 years and get out. Contracting may be dead in 2-3 years anyway..Don't want to miss that chance now...

Comment

Not at that point yet. Want to make as much as possible in the next 5 years and get out. Contracting may be dead in 2-3 years anyway..Don't want to miss that chance now...
                    I can't see contracting ever dying, as companies need a flexible work force. Large companies can't afford to have large numbers of project staff sitting around until the next contract is approved. The shape of contracting may change, and how we are remunerated, but there will still be a need for the temporary skilled resources that we provide.

Only time will tell though!
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      And the good thing is you are now early 30's, can I be too
                      Last time I checked I was in the age group that was near the end of generation X.

However I fool people in real life thinking I'm younger as well....

Comment

Working...
                      X