• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delayed start date and

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's NLUK's story about about getting canned in the carpark before starting?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      HMRC bumming us at every turn,
      Originally posted by stek View Post
      Was it canned or bummed by HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Welcome to the world of contracting - you are only safely in a contract when the final invoice has been paid
        It goes even further than that, so I've FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          having to deal with agents.
          But you love this aspect of contracting, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Zsat01 View Post
            Hi there

I'm new to contracting, just resigned from a permanent job and took a contract.

I was asked by the recruiter to give a short notice to my employer so I can start early. I did as they told me and signed the contract for 13th of March.

On the 9th of March they told me there is a delay of 2 days and then it carried on to 2 weeks. And they said no to any compensation. The recruiter doesn't reply promptly to my emails or calls in the last 2 days. That's is the situation I'm in, very stressful to say the least.

I've few questions

1) Can they just say no to compensation ?

2) In two weeks time if they say I'm not needed at all ? Where do I stand legally? Any chance of compensation?

3) Is it common to delay contract start dates ?

Thanks
            Reminds me of back in 1997 I was told by an agency to leave my almost 7 years perm role to start contracting for them. So I handed my notice in then the agency went radio silence but I still left the perm role as it was going nowhere & the salary was poor. Within 2 weeks I landed my 1st contract @ £80K PA which was not too bad in those days! But nowadays I would not leave a perm role to contract unless I had ultra niche immune to any downturn IT skills!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              But you love this aspect of contracting, don't you?

It's what get's me out of bed everyday! Well apart from those days I pissed in it again.

Liking the new avatar.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 21 March 2017, 15:12.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Ah.. that was at interview not starting thank you very much

This guy however....

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ot-agreed.html
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zsat01 View Post
                  Thanks everyone for replying.

The contract which is 10 pages, says I'll get paid only when I fill the time sheet and it also states that the supplier can cancel the contract, if the client says there is no work.

I need to find another job and I think contracting isn't my kind of thing I should stick to permanent jobs.

Thanks again.
                  Any chance you could un-resign from your current job?

Magic up some change in personal circumstances if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Reminds me of back in 1997 I was told by an agency to leave my almost 7 years perm role to start contracting for them. So I handed my notice in then the agency went radio silence but I still left the perm role as it was going nowhere & the salary was poor. Within 2 weeks I landed my 1st contract @ £80K PA which was not too bad in those days! But nowadays I would not leave a perm role to contract unless I had ultra niche immune to any downturn IT skills!!!

You won't believe it I was also in the permanent role for 7 years but good salary I would have got redundancy in 2 months time. Maybe it is fate and your story sounds motivating!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Any chance you could un-resign from your current job?

Magic up some change in personal circumstances if need be.

I can't as I already left the company. I also had a permanent role offered to me which I declined, maybe I can speak with them and see what happens!

Comment

Working...
                      X