Probject canned and MOO?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    More time posting than coding

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    256
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default Probject canned and MOO?

    Project had been canned at client co due to cut backs. Looks like all I'm heading for the door. Any advise on collecting evidence to prove MOO for IR35?

    Would a simple email from client co be enough that the project has been stopped and services not required?

  2. #2
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,147
    Thanks (Given)
    235
    Thanks (Received)
    1158
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    3449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Project had been canned at client co due to cut backs. Looks like all I'm heading for the door. Any advise on collecting evidence to prove MOO for IR35?

    Would a simple email from client co be enough that the project has been stopped and services not required?
    Can't do any harm. The fact you have a contract with an end date in June say with no invoices past March 17th is also probably enough evidence.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    256
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Can't do any harm. The fact you have a contract with an end date in June say with no invoices past March 17th is also probably enough evidence.
    Good point! Now I'm left wondering if the contact end date you mentioned was a lucky guess, you looked at my posting history or if I have been rumbled in real life!

  4. #4
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,147
    Thanks (Given)
    235
    Thanks (Received)
    1158
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    3449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Good point! Now I'm left wondering if the contact end date you mentioned was a lucky guess, you looked at my posting history or if I have been rumbled in real life!
    It was just a guess but a canned project normally means 3+ months to run. Otherwise companies usually keep people to the end just to save face all round...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,192
    Thanks (Given)
    135
    Thanks (Received)
    1348
    Likes (Given)
    1721
    Likes (Received)
    5808

    Default

    The fact you've gone is all the MoO you need. It's about offering you work outside of the current schedule of work. If it's dried up and your gone early that's all the evidence you need.
    They will need to formally inform you you are leaving and for what reason anyway so just save that.

    You don't really need 'extra' evidence when being canned like this. It's a massive positive flag for status without having to get anything else really.

    EDIT : Just to be pedantic you aren't looking for evidence of MoO. That's very bad. You are looking for evidence to prove the absence of MoO. Actually I'm not being pedantic. It's pretty bloody key. The fact you are being binned is evidence of that in itself. There are some good articles on MoO if you google them which would be worth a look.

    EDIT 2 : Are you with an agency? If so it's really the mail from the agency you need. You have no contractual obligation from the client.

    EDIT 3 : If you really want good evidence and everyone is being very understanding if you get an email stating immediate termination or a termination period less than notice period will look very good from an IR35 perspective. As I said before though. Being canned alone is more than enough for you to be safe from an IR35 perspective IMO
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17th March 2017 at 10:12.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #6

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,678
    Thanks (Given)
    334
    Thanks (Received)
    587
    Likes (Given)
    2210
    Likes (Received)
    2630

    Default

    It's also good evidence of financial risk - unlike a permie, you're getting no recompense for this despite believing that you'd be able to invoice an extra x thousand pounds between now and June.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,192
    Thanks (Given)
    135
    Thanks (Received)
    1348
    Likes (Given)
    1721
    Likes (Received)
    5808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    It's also good evidence of financial risk - unlike a permie, you're getting no recompense for this despite believing that you'd be able to invoice an extra x thousand pounds between now and June.
    I don't think so. Financial risk directly relates to losing money you are owed or paying for stuff that brings in money later etc. What is happening to the OP is documented and agreed in the contract is not a risk. It's a possible scenario that can arise so not a risk. It could be a business risk because he's losing business but it's not financial risk.

    It's like when people try claim a loss from the agency when they don't get paid notice period. Nothing was earned so there is no loss.

    Repairing stuff at your own cost is financial risk.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17th March 2017 at 11:38.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    Cirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rural Rutland
    Posts
    560
    Thanks (Given)
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    42
    Likes (Given)
    122
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Default

    It might show lack of MOO but remember it only applies to this contract - not you as a person or your company, as far as any other contracts are concerned
    "The only thing standing between me and greatness is ... me "

  9. #9

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,678
    Thanks (Given)
    334
    Thanks (Received)
    587
    Likes (Given)
    2210
    Likes (Received)
    2630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't think so. Financial risk directly relates to losing money you are owed or paying for stuff that brings in money later etc. What is happening to the OP is documented and agreed in the contract is not a risk. It's a possible scenario that can arise so not a risk. It could be a business risk because he's losing business but it's not financial risk.

    It's like when people try claim a loss from the agency when they don't get paid notice period. Nothing was earned so there is no loss.

    Repairing stuff at your own cost is financial risk.
    Zero employment rights, no actual notice would probably be good shouts then.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,384
    Thanks (Given)
    55
    Thanks (Received)
    111
    Likes (Given)
    788
    Likes (Received)
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    It might show lack of MOO but remember it only applies to this contract - not you as a person or your company, as far as any other contracts are concerned
    Mostly true, but not entirely. It's what HMRC want us to believe, anyway.

    Case law might say differently. In several cases, how someone runs their business, outside of the contract in question, has had an impact on the ruling that they really are in business for themselves rather than a disguised employee.

    It's a silver bullet for this contract -- it's obviously outside. But it could be helpful for other contracts, too, if they are borderline. It helps you say, "Shove off, mate, I'm running a business. Look what has happened to me and what I've done in the last five years."

    I'd keep it in my IR35 dossier for a long time, and not just for this contract.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.