• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating with agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating with agents

Hi all,

Was looking for some advice on rate negotiation. I only ask because I think I have been talking myself out of contracts recently and agents have not been putting my CV forward due to choosing other candidates who are happy to take a lower rate.

I have applied for a role where the range advertised is between 400-550 and the job ad states that the client is looking for contractors at all levels. I consider myself senior level and usually charge around 500-600.

If the range has been advertised as this is it likely that this is the budget approved and the agent makes money no matter what rate I am put forward for between that range? Or would it be the lower I go the more attractive I am for the agent? Just not sure how to play it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

They advertise 400-550. They get (e.g.) 700 from the client regardless. Which candidate do you think they'll promote - the one asking for £400, or the one asking for £500?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      They advertise 400-550. They get (e.g.) 700 from the client regardless. Which candidate do you think they'll promote - the one asking for £400, or the one asking for £500?
      They are looking to pay around 475 in that scenario, the less they can get away with the more goes into their sky rocket.

Comment

Your rates driven by 1) client's budget, 2) agent's margin

You rarely know 1) but can take a fair guess at 2).

Advertised market rates for similar roles will be an indicator.

You did not say which area you work in, but rates are being squeezed because of 1)

Comment

You are only worth what a client is willing to pay.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Leave rate negotiations till after the interview, then you will understand how much of a ball ache the contract will be and the client will understand how much they want you, agent loses some of their power then

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              Leave rate negotiations till after the interview, then you will understand how much of a ball ache the contract will be and the client will understand how much they want you, agent loses some of their power then
              In that scenario I generally say £500-£550 depending on the role as described by the client - shows them I'm willing to negotiate but also allows me to try and get as much as possible if I think the client really likes me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You are only worth what a client is willing to pay.
                This +1

Rates are negotiable, I have bumped up advertised rates before, depends if the client really wanted me for the role.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  This +1

Rates are negotiable, I have bumped up advertised rates before, depends if the client really wanted me for the role.
                  +1. My last client continually stated that all the candidates arrived at the same rate.

My reply was that it was far less than I usually get but wanted it as the worked filled in a gap in my CV and it was more interesting than the other options.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    +1. My last client continually stated that all the candidates arrived at the same rate.

My reply was that it was far less than I usually get but wanted it as the worked filled in a gap in my CV and it was more interesting than the other options.
                    My very first contract was with a woman who had already been contracting for 15 years.

One thing she said to me, "If you want to be successful at this for a long time, never fix your rate" very wise advice, IMO.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X