• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating with agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rate varies depending on level of effort to do the job, commuting, my interest in the work, etc. I have a spreadsheet of all my commitments that helps me determine the absolute minimum to charge, based on a 40 week year.

I tend to take the advertised rate as a guide to whether I want to even apply for it. If it's too low, I don't even bother. All the while I have the luxury of being picky, I will. If circumstances change, I'll drop my rate if really necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      My rate varies depending on level of effort to do the job, commuting, my interest in the work, etc. I have a spreadsheet of all my commitments that helps me determine the absolute minimum to charge, based on a 40 week year.

I tend to take the advertised rate as a guide to whether I want to even apply for it. If it's too low, I don't even bother. All the while I have the luxury of being picky, I will. If circumstances change, I'll drop my rate if really necessary.
      This.

Plus, whenever I chat to agents when I am not on the market, and they ask what my rate is, I tell them I don't discuss rates until I am discussing a live role I want to apply for, as it depends on a lot of things.

I don't want a number next to my name in their database/spreadsheet that might stop me getting a call when I am looking as some point in the future when my rate requirement may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        This.

Plus, whenever I chat to agents when I am not on the market, and they ask what my rate is, I tell them I don't discuss rates until I am discussing a live role I want to apply for, as it depends on a lot of things.

I don't want a number next to my name in their database/spreadsheet that might stop me getting a call when I am looking as some point in the future when my rate requirement may have changed.
        Agent: "Hi, is that jmo21?"
        jmo21: "Yes, who's that?"
        Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. What is your current rate?"
        jmo21: "I'm sorry, I don't discuss rate until I am discussing a live role."
        Agent: "No problem. Bye."
        [hangs up phone]
        Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this spreadsheet column"

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
          Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. I am recruiting for a contract widget builder ..."
          jmo21: "I'm sorry, I am currently in a contract and too busy to talk right now but.."
          [hangs up phone]
          FTFY
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. I am recruiting for a contract widget builder ..."
            jmo21: "I'm sorry, I am currently in a contract and too busy to talk right now but.."
            [hangs up phone]
            Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this minimum rate spreadsheet column"
            FTFY

Comment

Always ask for top of range

My tuppence - I work in banking and budgets are always estimated at high level, so if a role is advertised at 450-550 I don't care if I pay 550 for every person I hire. To be honest, if someone comes through at 450 then I assume they're junior - I just want the best people I can get within whatever the range is

I'd suggest always asking for the top of the range. If it's not a big bank doing the hiring maybe they will care but then they can try and negotiate down from there

Also if an agent asks what rate I'm on, I tell them the best rate I've ever had, and tell them it would take more to move me. Yesterday I had a second interview at a rate over 30% more than what I'm on... the world is not a meritocracy and you're only worth whatever you can swindle

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Leave rate negotiations till after the interview, then you will understand how much of a ball ache the contract will be and the client will understand how much they want you, agent loses some of their power then
                ^^This

As long as you know what the range is then do the interview and negotiate afterwards. As long as you don't think that you can negotiate well above the initial top budget (that's just called being a timewaster)

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                  ^^This

As long as you know what the range is then do the interview and negotiate afterwards. As long as you don't think that you can negotiate well above the initial top budget (that's just called being a timewaster)
                  When I have done this, I did it prior to any interview.
                  I told the agent I would only do it for £xxx, as a minimum, which was over the initial proposed maximum.

Luckily the client had a rethink and said they would meet my budget.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. What is your current rate?"
                    jmo21: "I'm sorry, I don't discuss rate until I am discussing a live role."
                    [hangs up phone]
                    Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this spreadsheet column"

Which is fine, as they dress it up as what rates shouldn't I call you about. When I'm in not contract I do want to hear about it even if it's low!
                    Last edited by jmo21; 18 March 2017, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Which is fine, as they dress it up as what rates shouldn't I call you about. When I'm in contract I do want to hear about it even if it's low!
                      Interesting. Genuine question: Why?

Comment

Working...
                      X