+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11

    Contractor Among Contractors

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,179
    Thanks (Given)
    48
    Thanks (Received)
    31
    Likes (Given)
    271
    Likes (Received)
    146

    Default

    My rate varies depending on level of effort to do the job, commuting, my interest in the work, etc. I have a spreadsheet of all my commitments that helps me determine the absolute minimum to charge, based on a 40 week year.

    I tend to take the advertised rate as a guide to whether I want to even apply for it. If it's too low, I don't even bother. All the while I have the luxury of being picky, I will. If circumstances change, I'll drop my rate if really necessary.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | Get 15% off IPSE membership

  2. #12

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    49
    Likes (Given)
    260
    Likes (Received)
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    My rate varies depending on level of effort to do the job, commuting, my interest in the work, etc. I have a spreadsheet of all my commitments that helps me determine the absolute minimum to charge, based on a 40 week year.

    I tend to take the advertised rate as a guide to whether I want to even apply for it. If it's too low, I don't even bother. All the while I have the luxury of being picky, I will. If circumstances change, I'll drop my rate if really necessary.
    This.

    Plus, whenever I chat to agents when I am not on the market, and they ask what my rate is, I tell them I don't discuss rates until I am discussing a live role I want to apply for, as it depends on a lot of things.

    I don't want a number next to my name in their database/spreadsheet that might stop me getting a call when I am looking as some point in the future when my rate requirement may have changed.

  3. #13

    More time posting than coding

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    393
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    44
    Likes (Received)
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    This.

    Plus, whenever I chat to agents when I am not on the market, and they ask what my rate is, I tell them I don't discuss rates until I am discussing a live role I want to apply for, as it depends on a lot of things.

    I don't want a number next to my name in their database/spreadsheet that might stop me getting a call when I am looking as some point in the future when my rate requirement may have changed.
    Agent: "Hi, is that jmo21?"
    jmo21: "Yes, who's that?"
    Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. What is your current rate?"
    jmo21: "I'm sorry, I don't discuss rate until I am discussing a live role."
    Agent: "No problem. Bye."
    [hangs up phone]
    Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this spreadsheet column"


  4. #14

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    21,992
    Thanks (Given)
    524
    Thanks (Received)
    574
    Likes (Given)
    3426
    Likes (Received)
    2676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    Agent: "Hi, is that jmo21?"
    jmo21: "Yes, who's that?"
    Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. I am recruiting for a contract widget builder ..."
    jmo21: "I'm sorry, I am currently in a contract and too busy to talk right now but.."
    Agent: "No problem. Bye."
    [hangs up phone]
    FTFY
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  5. #15

    More time posting than coding

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    393
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    44
    Likes (Received)
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Agent: "Hi, is that jmo21?"
    jmo21: "Yes, who's that?"
    Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. I am recruiting for a contract widget builder ..."
    jmo21: "I'm sorry, I am currently in a contract and too busy to talk right now but.."
    Agent: "No problem. Bye."
    [hangs up phone]
    Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this minimum rate spreadsheet column"
    FTFY


  6. #16

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Always ask for top of range

    My tuppence - I work in banking and budgets are always estimated at high level, so if a role is advertised at 450-550 I don't care if I pay 550 for every person I hire. To be honest, if someone comes through at 450 then I assume they're junior - I just want the best people I can get within whatever the range is

    I'd suggest always asking for the top of the range. If it's not a big bank doing the hiring maybe they will care but then they can try and negotiate down from there

    Also if an agent asks what rate I'm on, I tell them the best rate I've ever had, and tell them it would take more to move me. Yesterday I had a second interview at a rate over 30% more than what I'm on... the world is not a meritocracy and you're only worth whatever you can swindle

  7. #17

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    129
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Leave rate negotiations till after the interview, then you will understand how much of a ball ache the contract will be and the client will understand how much they want you, agent loses some of their power then
    ^^This

    As long as you know what the range is then do the interview and negotiate afterwards. As long as you don't think that you can negotiate well above the initial top budget (that's just called being a timewaster)

  8. #18

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8,813
    Thanks (Given)
    584
    Thanks (Received)
    502
    Likes (Given)
    3904
    Likes (Received)
    2243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ^^This

    As long as you know what the range is then do the interview and negotiate afterwards. As long as you don't think that you can negotiate well above the initial top budget (that's just called being a timewaster)
    When I have done this, I did it prior to any interview.
    I told the agent I would only do it for £xxx, as a minimum, which was over the initial proposed maximum.

    Luckily the client had a rethink and said they would meet my budget.

  9. #19

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,635
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    49
    Likes (Given)
    260
    Likes (Received)
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    Agent: "Hi, is that jmo21?"
    jmo21: "Yes, who's that?"
    Agent: "It's Slippery Simon from Shyster Recruitment here. What is your current rate?"
    jmo21: "I'm sorry, I don't discuss rate until I am discussing a live role."
    Agent: "No problem. Bye."
    [hangs up phone]
    Agent: "I'll just put £150 down in this spreadsheet column"

    Which is fine, as they dress it up as what rates shouldn't I call you about. When I'm in not contract I do want to hear about it even if it's low!
    Last edited by jmo21; 18th March 2017 at 13:01.

  10. #20

    More time posting than coding

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    393
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    13
    Likes (Given)
    44
    Likes (Received)
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    Which is fine, as they dress it up as what rates shouldn't I call you about. When I'm in contract I do want to hear about it even if it's low!
    Interesting. Genuine question: Why?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.