+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 17 of 17

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agents aren't like Tesco. There isn't a price and that's what pops up at the checkout.

Your project manager may have a figure but that's come from a half-baked calculation by Finance who may have all sorts of motivations pushing them in different directions.

There are rate card discounts; bulk discounts, free services, entertainment etc. Your agency contact may not know because generally there are different people for contract and perm so they may not individually know the overall turnover/discount etc.

Ask around by all means. Lots of people are happy to talk about such matters. But be careful - margins are usually a lot lower than they first appear.
    Contracting = Working = Wasting your life away

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want to find out your rate, do a really bad job one day in front of the PM/finance director, then get a colleague to go out drinking with them.
    After a few beers they will let slip that they can't believe they pay £125 a day for you.

...hey presto, you find out your current rate and you know what to put on your CV for your next contract.
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    If you want to find out your rate, do a really bad job one day in front of the PM/finance director, then get a colleague to go out drinking with them.
    After a few beers they will let slip that they can't believe they pay £125 a day for you.

...hey presto, you find out your current rate and you know what to put on your CV for your next contract.
    Some of them leave rates showing on their computer screen, while others forget to remove paper of the photocopier...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    This was 2012 ish, ballroom not used as a ballroom then, the Teradata team lived there......

No point to story, just to impress the ladies with my knowledge of folding and rolling shutter doors before I start on composite fire doors, Filuma Garage doors, and induction loop gate commissionaire units....
    You sound like the absolute life and soul. I'd almost rather have a pint with d000hg and assguru.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    You sound like the absolute life and soul. I'd almost rather have a pint with d000hg and assguru.

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post

Is that some kind of Northern sexual offer?
    I wonder what urban dictionary says

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by billybiro View Post
    Whilst I generally agree that if you accept a rate you're happy with, the rate charged to the client by the agency shouldn't be your concern, there is one specific scenario where knowing this rate can be important:

For example:
    Client --£600--> Agent --£500--> You
    Client --£550--> Agent --£500--> Other Contractor

Agent has 2 contractors (who are for all intents and purposes equal in skill & experience) in the same client co, with the client co paying slightly more for you than the other contractor, despite you both getting the same rate from the agency.

Client has to cut budget and decides to reduce contractor head count. Who will the client choose?
    Also has inflationary impact on the client expectation of the amount/calibre of work you should be doing .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2