• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best way to find out my chargeable day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents aren't like Tesco. There isn't a price and that's what pops up at the checkout.

Your project manager may have a figure but that's come from a half-baked calculation by Finance who may have all sorts of motivations pushing them in different directions.

There are rate card discounts; bulk discounts, free services, entertainment etc. Your agency contact may not know because generally there are different people for contract and perm so they may not individually know the overall turnover/discount etc.

Ask around by all means. Lots of people are happy to talk about such matters. But be careful - margins are usually a lot lower than they first appear.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

If you want to find out your rate, do a really bad job one day in front of the PM/finance director, then get a colleague to go out drinking with them.
      After a few beers they will let slip that they can't believe they pay £125 a day for you.

...hey presto, you find out your current rate and you know what to put on your CV for your next contract.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        If you want to find out your rate, do a really bad job one day in front of the PM/finance director, then get a colleague to go out drinking with them.
        After a few beers they will let slip that they can't believe they pay £125 a day for you.

...hey presto, you find out your current rate and you know what to put on your CV for your next contract.
        Some of them leave rates showing on their computer screen, while others forget to remove paper of the photocopier...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          This was 2012 ish, ballroom not used as a ballroom then, the Teradata team lived there......

No point to story, just to impress the ladies with my knowledge of folding and rolling shutter doors before I start on composite fire doors, Filuma Garage doors, and induction loop gate commissionaire units....
          You sound like the absolute life and soul. I'd almost rather have a pint with d000hg and assguru.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            You sound like the absolute life and soul. I'd almost rather have a pint with d000hg and assguru.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Is that some kind of Northern sexual offer?
              I wonder what urban dictionary says
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Whilst I generally agree that if you accept a rate you're happy with, the rate charged to the client by the agency shouldn't be your concern, there is one specific scenario where knowing this rate can be important:

For example:
                Client --£600--> Agent --£500--> You
                Client --£550--> Agent --£500--> Other Contractor

Agent has 2 contractors (who are for all intents and purposes equal in skill & experience) in the same client co, with the client co paying slightly more for you than the other contractor, despite you both getting the same rate from the agency.

Client has to cut budget and decides to reduce contractor head count. Who will the client choose?
                Also has inflationary impact on the client expectation of the amount/calibre of work you should be doing .

Comment

Working...
                X