• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To renew or not to renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To renew or not to renew

Hi All,

Need to sound off - really.

Just finished a 6 month gig as a PM, i like the team, the rate is not great, about an hour and half drive, I have managed a piece of work in a much bigger programme.

I have now been given another item piece of work in that programme that is the worst managed programme that I have seen in 20 years as a PM / PGM. It is a cluster XXXX waiting to happen

I am not sleeping I am waking up at 4:30 I just dont want to do this project as it has no support from the management and I can see me becoming a fall guy as everyone else has just walked away from it and delivered documented nothing

BUT it is an extension and a bird in the hand etc.

I have a war chest built up to cover 12 months

Sorry to use u as a sounding board but should i stay or not renew.

The extension is in my inbox I requested a rate increase so that I could stay over they said no, I requested some remote working they said no. I requested 2 months notice instead of 1 month they said no

I have thought about manning up and just invoice but I really dont want to do it

I know I have answered my own question really and this is why I went in to contracting to pick and choose but to actually not renew is a first for me. Has anyone been in this position?

If it is as gloomy as you suggest.

Don't extend.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by redman View Post
      Hi All,

Just finished a 6 month gig as a PM, i like the team, the rate is not great, about an hour and half drive, I have managed a piece of work in a much bigger programme.

I have now been given another item piece of work in that programme that is the worst managed programme that I have seen in 20 years as a PM / PGM. It is a cluster XXXX waiting to happen

I am not sleeping I am waking up at 4:30 I just dont want to do this project as it has no support from the management and I can see me becoming a fall guy as everyone else has just walked away from it and delivered documented nothing

The extension is in my inbox I requested a rate increase so that I could stay over they said no, I requested some remote working they said no. I requested 2 months notice instead of 1 month they said no

I have thought about manning up and just invoice but I really dont want to do it

I know I have answered my own question really and this is why I went in to contracting to pick and choose but to actually not renew is a first for me. Has anyone been in this position?
      This would make me walk. Don't get companies with no give and take/compromise.

Treat your contractors fairly and they'll go the extra mile.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Is it work, thus earning money? Yes.
        Are you seeming stressing out about renewing? Yes.
        Are you worried about being a patsy for it failing? Yes.

Earning money is always good if i goes towards a warchest enabling you to be choosy about future roles.
        If there are no suitable roles around, ie market for your skills goes dry, then you'll be stressing about financial issues.
        Worried about project failing? Why take it so personally? As long as you know you did your best... others can think what they want.

End of the day it's your decision.

Personally, unless I had something concrete in the pipeline I'd be tempted to extend. Focus on doing my work to the bet of my ability, ***** everything else. Get out of dodge as soon as something else comes along.

Generally, stress is generated because people tend to stress themselves into overthinking things. Keep Calm and Carry On Invoicing.

Comment

If you do not need the money decline the extension otherwise your potentially getting into a world of hurt. Or man up accept the extension and prove to them your the man by turning their failure into your success!!

Comment

Extend, keep invoicing, keep looking.

The extension in notice period is pointless; they could can you at a moment's notice and not have to pay. If it's the train wreck of a programme that you reckon it will be, they can simply say, "please don't come in tomorrow, the budget has run out, sorry."
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi All,

Nope. Leave, let it go bang, and then come back only on your on terms.

Comment

Market isn't great at the moment, so I would do it and learn how to cope with an impossible project, that is destined to fail. It's all in the mind
                However, if you are inundated with alternative offers I would take one of those.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Presume you are looking at other roles at the same time - anything looking promising ?

I am not sure why you are asking for an increased 2 months notice instead of 1 ? In your position I would be looking to reduce the period to less than 1 month not increase it, so if something else comes along it is easier for you to jump ship if you feel that you want to. No one will wait 2 months for you to serve a notice period.

I would also go with your gut feel, which only you know, and take the positive view that something else will come up - it always does.

Comment

Hi All,

It is really a difficult question for someone else to answer, as their priorities may well be different to yours. I have not taken a couple of extensions, but that was for different reasons. Both were going to take me over the 2 year mark, so that swung it for me. I had also decided to take some time off after one of them, and I knew they would keep on extending me as long as I was willing to stay as there were always new projects starting. The 2 year rule was a good reason for me stopping in that case. I also know I really had to jump as I would never be pushed.

Also, the reason I got into contracting was the flexibility. I am happy once I have a war chest of x behind me I am not under any pressure to take a contract, and I prefer to take off several months a year on average to pursue other things. Your reasons may well be different.

You don't say how long the extension is for, is it another 6 months? The drive will probably seem better during the summer, as you will be driving in daylight, rather than the cold winter mornings / evenings. But it's also 3 hours of your day your not getting back (if it's an hour and a half each way).

Not sure if this helps or not, but you say you really don't want to do the project. I think that is your answer. If there are no pressures on you personally to take it, then don't take it. Life is too short.

Comment

Working...
                    X