+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks (Given)
    32
    Thanks (Received)
    75
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    671

    Default

    2 months notice! I would be looking for a 1 or 2 week notice period so I could bail if I found a better gig... which by the sounds of things wouldn't be hard

  2. #12

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,355
    Thanks (Given)
    35
    Thanks (Received)
    72
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    2 months notice! I would be looking for a 1 or 2 week notice period so I could bail if I found a better gig... which by the sounds of things wouldn't be hard
    Kindly refer to post #9 of this thread.
    ______________________
    Don't get mad...get even...

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Hi all,

    many thanks for the comments they have given me a few things to think about.

    one correction I meant 2 weeks not 2 months - doh

    I have not really been looking too hard as if I dont extend I will take some time off. I do try to have some time of in the summer with the family.

    Pulling problem projects / programmes around is something i have done many times BUT I have always had the backing from management to do it. Here the management know the programme is failing but dont want to hear it, the programme manager /director is next to useless, with the project team walking out twice and will not listen.

    thanks again

  4. #14

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    16,499
    Thanks (Given)
    170
    Thanks (Received)
    578
    Likes (Given)
    980
    Likes (Received)
    2187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    ...
    The extension is in my inbox I requested a rate increase so that I could stay over they said no, I requested some remote working they said no. I requested 2 months notice instead of 1 month they said no...
    You are now in an excellent negotiating position. You want to leave. They're probably thinking you'll never call their bluff, but now you can. The only question is, if they gave you these things would that be sufficient to make you stay?
    Fact check: Mostly false

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  5. #15

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks (Given)
    32
    Thanks (Received)
    75
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Kindly refer to post #9 of this thread.
    Even 1 month is too long, notice periods are no protection as the client can bin you at any time so it makes sense to have as little as possible on your side, 2 weeks max has always been my limit.

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks (Given)
    32
    Thanks (Received)
    75
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    Hi all,

    many thanks for the comments they have given me a few things to think about.

    one correction I meant 2 weeks not 2 months - doh

    I have not really been looking too hard as if I dont extend I will take some time off. I do try to have some time of in the summer with the family.

    Pulling problem projects / programmes around is something i have done many times BUT I have always had the backing from management to do it. Here the management know the programme is failing but dont want to hear it, the programme manager /director is next to useless, with the project team walking out twice and will not listen.

    thanks again
    Aah right sorry, in that case if its a complete car crash I would normally bail but take into account the glut of PS contractors trying to get into the private market. If you have 12 months money to back you up it may be worth a punt.

  7. #17

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    22,601
    Thanks (Given)
    589
    Thanks (Received)
    603
    Likes (Given)
    3549
    Likes (Received)
    2825

    Default

    Accept the extension telling them you are taking one week holiday.

    Then every month take at least one day off so you have a long weekend.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #18

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    50
    Likes (Given)
    260
    Likes (Received)
    284

    Default

    Just raise numerous "red flags" for each risk in every spreadsheet, and don't give a tulip?

  9. #19

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    8
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    Just raise numerous "red flags" for each risk in every spreadsheet, and don't give a tulip?
    U really dont know how funny that is........

    The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks

  10. #20

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    22,601
    Thanks (Given)
    589
    Thanks (Received)
    603
    Likes (Given)
    3549
    Likes (Received)
    2825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    U really dont know how funny that is........

    The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks
    Raise them anyway.

    Document everything and keep your own copy as well as send it to them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.