• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To renew or not to renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 months notice! I would be looking for a 1 or 2 week notice period so I could bail if I found a better gig... which by the sounds of things wouldn't be hard

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      2 months notice! I would be looking for a 1 or 2 week notice period so I could bail if I found a better gig... which by the sounds of things wouldn't be hard
      Kindly refer to post #9 of this thread.

Comment

Hi all,

many thanks for the comments they have given me a few things to think about.

one correction I meant 2 weeks not 2 months - doh

I have not really been looking too hard as if I dont extend I will take some time off. I do try to have some time of in the summer with the family.

Pulling problem projects / programmes around is something i have done many times BUT I have always had the backing from management to do it. Here the management know the programme is failing but dont want to hear it, the programme manager /director is next to useless, with the project team walking out twice and will not listen.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by redman View Post
          The extension is in my inbox I requested a rate increase so that I could stay over they said no, I requested some remote working they said no. I requested 2 months notice instead of 1 month they said no...
          You are now in an excellent negotiating position. You want to leave. They're probably thinking you'll never call their bluff, but now you can. The only question is, if they gave you these things would that be sufficient to make you stay?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Kindly refer to post #9 of this thread.
            Even 1 month is too long, notice periods are no protection as the client can bin you at any time so it makes sense to have as little as possible on your side, 2 weeks max has always been my limit.

Comment

Hi all,

many thanks for the comments they have given me a few things to think about.

one correction I meant 2 weeks not 2 months - doh

I have not really been looking too hard as if I dont extend I will take some time off. I do try to have some time of in the summer with the family.

Pulling problem projects / programmes around is something i have done many times BUT I have always had the backing from management to do it. Here the management know the programme is failing but dont want to hear it, the programme manager /director is next to useless, with the project team walking out twice and will not listen.

thanks again
              Aah right sorry, in that case if its a complete car crash I would normally bail but take into account the glut of PS contractors trying to get into the private market. If you have 12 months money to back you up it may be worth a punt.

Comment

Accept the extension telling them you are taking one week holiday.

Then every month take at least one day off so you have a long weekend.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just raise numerous "red flags" for each risk in every spreadsheet, and don't give a tulip?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Just raise numerous "red flags" for each risk in every spreadsheet, and don't give a tulip?
                    U really dont know how funny that is........

The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks

Comment

U really dont know how funny that is........

The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks
                      Raise them anyway.

Document everything and keep your own copy as well as send it to them.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X