• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters want your CV even when you've said you're not available?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Have you ever interviewed people?

If you have you would be aware that even before you get the final handful of CVs lots of filtering goes on.
    The thing is that the agent filtering is often not correct, they search for a few buzzwords and skip the stuff they don't understand, but would still make you a perfect candidate, the client understands these things better than the agent

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      The thing is that the agent filtering is often not correct, they search for a few buzzwords and skip the stuff they don't understand, but would still make you a perfect candidate, the client understands these things better than the agent
      See my previous post.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Most people doing the initial recruitment for skilled jobs don't know much about the day-to-day skills needed to do the role whether they are recruiting for accountant or a nurse. So while do you think IT roles would be any different?

You presume that both agents and clients wait around for the best qualified candidate or would even choose them if they are available. They don't and won't.

People have lots of biases on who they recruit for a role, plus there are other factors like time and the number of other agencies looking for candidates which influence who gets put forward.
        Can be all sorts of hi jinx, usually from both sides, going on.

One time I assisted in the recruitment of 7 contractors.

I already had around 5 already lined up for 5 of the roles.

Getting those 5 CVs and others that interested me (e-mailed to by business account on the side) through the in house agency, from 2 others on the clients PSL, proved quite "tricky" .

They would rather I interviewed all the cheap and not even cheerful tulip they, or their affiliates, sent through first.

The in house agency even got a little shirty with me at some point, I purely pointed out I was actually adding value by getting known people in.
        I also added this was in the best interests of the client, which we should jointly looking at trying to provide.

Obviously, I eventually got the 5 contractors I wanted, plus the other 2 I was interested in

They then even went and bothered client co director who then denied having any knowledge and put them right back in their box

Total minefield.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

There is the filtering option that takes time but their is payroll, factoring and general time spent with the day to day stuff and churn. If a client has 100's of contractors that's a very big overhead. Some client's have the agent's on site to provide the service rather than do it themselves. We can wax lyrical about the value but with so many clients using them and having them on site speaks volumes. It's just another outsourced service that (in theory) adds value for a client.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 20 March 2017, 11:56.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agents clearly add value for the client, or they wouldn't use them. A lot of talk about CV filtering as if that's the main part they add value. There's also:

-Advertising the role. It costs a lot to put a role out on several job boards . It costs less for agencies who will have deals for the large numbers they put out, plus the time and effort when the client will have a project to deliver.

-Onboarding. They have to perform a number of checks, often including credit searches etc.

-Offloading some of the risk - e.g. if they go through all the above and then the contractor pulls out, there little lost for the client.

These are particularly beneficial to small and medium sized businesses. It's far easier for the to say "We've got a budget of £xx per day for a contractor - go and find me someone and take a cut of that" than for them to have to do all of the above on top of that.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              Agents clearly add value for the client, or they wouldn't use them. A lot of talk about CV filtering as if that's the main part they add value. There's also:

-Advertising the role. It costs a lot to put a role out on several job boards It costs less for agencies who will have deals for the large numbers they put out, plus the time and effort when the client will have a project to deliver.

-Onboarding. They have to perform a number of checks, often including credit searches etc.

-Offloading some of the risk - e.g. if they go through all the above and then the contractor pulls out, there little lost for the client.

These are particularly beneficial to small and medium sized businesses. It's far easier for the to say "We've got a budget of £xx per day for a contractor - go and find me someone and take a cut of that" than for them to have to do all of the above on top of that.
              This + Invoice factoring.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:25.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
              X