• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there such a thing as an honest recruitment agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardboiled View Post
    But sure to work out which agencies are good and bad you have to go through this time wasting process!......and none of them are going to say they're time wasters, they're all brilliant and don't work like the other agencies because they're marvellous.... cough cough!
    Its called gaining your contractor nouse.

Certainly not a time wasting process if you wish to be any good at it.

Part of what we do, so either deal with that or walk away from it
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ultimately it doesn't matter whether the agent is lying or wasting your time. If you're on the bench you explore every avenue possible, just don't expect anything to come from them.

Too many people on here expect an agent to call back every day with an update or an interview. If they've got something they'll call you, so keep applying until one them calls back.

Comment

^ This...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately it is part of the game. There must be a few concerned recruiters with the financial end of year due soon as I get the impression there isn't much volume of contracts at the moment and they have targets to reach.

Comment

I hope I've just seen the back of one today. Followed up on an ad, agreed a min rate with the agent taking into acct it being in EUR and I'd be away every week. About two weeks later through several rounds of interviews and they've come back with a rate about 15% less, begging me to give them a new 'minimum' I'd accept to take the work. No idea why they'd just spout some lies in the opening conversations at the risk of losing me weeks and hours of interviews down the line.

Comment

Recruiters do seem to get a near universal bad press on a par with estate agents and second hand car salespeople. However, there are good agents and I've dealt with some excellent ones for perm and contract roles. I think there are two salient points that potential candidates often miss:

1. The agent works for the end client and is being paid by the end client. No matter how much you complain that the agent is making money off you and your hard work, this point is fundamental to where the agent's loyalty really lies.

2. Be clear who the actual recruiting agent is. Recruitment for most agencies is a volume game and a typical agent may deal with dozens of client and candidate calls in a day. A lot of this is farmed out to the junior staff (the so called 'kids who want to meet for coffee' mentioned above). You need to rapidly move to the actual recruiting agent as soon as you make contact.

In my 25 years of dealing with agents, the best experience you will get is with agents you develop a long term relationship with. This isn't easy and requires a bit of effort on your part but always keep in mind rule one above.

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
                I hope I've just seen the back of one today. Followed up on an ad, agreed a min rate with the agent taking into acct it being in EUR and I'd be away every week. About two weeks later through several rounds of interviews and they've come back with a rate about 15% less, begging me to give them a new 'minimum' I'd accept to take the work. No idea why they'd just spout some lies in the opening conversations at the risk of losing me weeks and hours of interviews down the line.
                Surely the agency are just trying it on to get more out of the contract for themselves? The end client would have known your rate when your CV was initially sent over.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                  Surely the agency are just trying it on to get more out of the contract for themselves? The end client would have known your rate when your CV was initially sent over.
                  Would be tempted to reply 'Sorry but I can't do it at that rate. I will of course contact the end client to apologise for not being able to work for them'.

Comment

Originally posted by doconline View Post
                    Or they put you in at a lower rate because hoping you'd take it the cut later down the line.

Comment

I can deal with a lot of the silliness of recruitment - chasing references, asking who can they speak to at a previous office etc.

My main gripe is after going for an interview not getting the call or email to say you were unsuccessful. I think thats unprofessional if you have gone to the effort to go to an interview and call the agency up to let them know how it went and built up a perceived relationship with them from initial call.

I'm not sure if its because they can't be arsed as someone has been placed and their getting paid or whether they want to give the person who has been given the job a week or so to see if they sign up and complete the first week and maybe they will give you a call then.

I think thats what leaves a sour taste for me. And its not just the smaller agencies that do this.

Comment

Working...
                      X