• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SDM Roles?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDM Roles?

Hi there

I'm considering going back contracting after being a permy for the last 17 years. When I was last contracting in y2k I was doing 2nd and 3rd Line support in a wintel environment, nowadays I'll be looking at roles within Service Delivery Management. I've been an SDM for the last 7 years and am looking to move on. The good news (I think!) is that I am available immediatly.

My question is; is there a market out there for contracting SDM's / ITIL Implementation work?

Also, apart from CWJobs, where is the best place to look for roles?

Cheers

Steve

It's just about the worst time to go contracting ever.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieT View Post
      Hi there

I'm considering going back contracting after being a permy for the last 17 years. When I was last contracting in y2k I was doing 2nd and 3rd Line support in a wintel environment, nowadays I'll be looking at roles within Service Delivery Management. I've been an SDM for the last 7 years and am looking to move on. The good news (I think!) is that I am available immediatly.

My question is; is there a market out there for contracting SDM's / ITIL Implementation work?

Also, apart from CWJobs, where is the best place to look for roles?

Cheers

Steve
      Well, you join the other 10's of thousands that are also "available immediately"
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        It's just about the worst time to go contracting ever.
        Really? Is this due to the Public Sector not using them anymore?

Comment

No, it's due to them not using the public sector anymore.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Cheers for the replies.

So is this a dead duck then? Are things really that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by StevieT View Post
              Cheers for the replies.

So is this a dead duck then? Are things really that bad?
              In short, unless you have niche skills, multiple languages and are able to travel yes. Very much so.

With thousands of PS contractors with 2 decades of contracting under their belt, there are too many people for too few roles, not only is it driving down rates - as a new entrant to contracting it is very difficult to stand out from the crowd.

It is not impossible though. A good place to start is read the past 2 years of discussion on this forum. Then read it again.

I managed to find a WFH contract role, having left permiedom in Spain. As I need to split my time between DK and the UK it was a big ask. Paying attention to the "bad news posts" (looking at you NLUK) gave me a reality check and helped me plan my move very carefully. All in all it took about 8 months and I had the luxury of a substantial war chest, many years under my belt, and some very niche skills.

Probably not the place to mention it but the Old Boy's network was key to my success.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                In short, unless you have niche skills, multiple languages and are able to travel yes. Very much so.

With thousands of PS contractors with 2 decades of contracting under their belt, there are too many people for too few roles, not only is it driving down rates - as a new entrant to contracting it is very difficult to stand out from the crowd.

It is not impossible though. A good place to start is read the past 2 years of discussion on this forum. Then read it again.

I managed to find a WFH contract role, having left permiedom in Spain. As I need to split my time between DK and the UK it was a big ask. Paying attention to the "bad news posts" (looking at you NLUK) gave me a reality check and helped me plan my move very carefully. All in all it took about 8 months and I had the luxury of a substantial war chest, many years under my belt, and some very niche skills.

Probably not the place to mention it but the Old Boy's network was key to my success.
                Cheers pal

Comment

SDM > possibly Ex HP? or similar > Immeadiately available > so was that via CR or VR?

Loads of people on the market now as a result of various mega and endless redundancy programmes.
                  Get Linkedin working for you pronto.
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

To the OP.
                    Your timing isn't ideal, for reasons already highlighted. However I have seen many gigs advertised which match the SDM & ITIL skillset. I'm sure you'll be fine. Keep us apprised.
                    My opinion, and it's only opinion I have no data to back this up, is that if something can be delivered down a wire then it may be doomed. There is always someone somewhere who will do it more cheaply. Whereas SDM may be, note lots or caveats!, a relatively safe realm in the future as most companies will still want 'boots on the ground'.

Good luck and as I said, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X