• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor.. where did all the jobs go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You mean you actually talk to real people?

At clientco we have to repeatedly tell the youngsters to go and speak to people directly. They act horrified when you say that even though some of the direct speaking is through chat.
    Nah, I was speaking to him via Snapchat with the doggy face option on
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not being funny but what is it about all these permies going contracting now of all times. Granted there isn't really a best time to start but *right* now?

Lurkers did you really not do your homework on this? Did you not realise that a huge (public) sector of the market has become off limits to PSCS?

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Not being funny but what is it about all these permies going contracting now of all times. Granted there isn't really a best time to start but *right* now?

Lurkers did you really not do your homework on this? Did you not realise that a huge (public) sector of the market has become off limits to PSCS?

qh
        I think the lurking started after it was realised that the grass was not greener.

Comment

aa

Hey Pallavi,

I jacked in my permie role a year ago, it took 4 months to land my first gig. Unless you're prepared to do something about it, don't be surprised to go for days and weeks without phone calls or interviews. They won't just land on your lap.

So it's tough, but there's hope. Companies are always on the lookout for good people - perm or contract. You gotta work out how to get in there. What's your flavour of SharePoint xp? is it dev?

Agencies get well over 50 apps for each ad. Their attention lasts for seconds / most agents generally misunderstand roles - how do you get to the top of the pile without appearing to be desperate and convince the agent you're the one to be put forward for the role? Be the best you can be, be patient, persevere. Market yourself without being a BS artist. Invest time and independent review of your CV and application methods.

Split your time between networking, applying for roles through job boards and contacting hiring managers directly offering your skills. (BTW "CV library" is another job board which may yield unique results...)

Give yourself a time limit and go back looking for permie roles after that. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rjoe View Post
            Hey Pallavi,

I jacked in my permie role a year ago, it took 4 months to land my first gig. Unless you're prepared to do something about it, don't be surprised to go for days and weeks without phone calls or interviews. They won't just land on your lap.

So it's tough, but there's hope. Companies are always on the lookout for good people - perm or contract. You gotta work out how to get in there. What's your flavour of SharePoint xp? is it dev?

Agencies get well over 50 apps for each ad. Their attention lasts for seconds / most agents generally misunderstand roles - how do you get to the top of the pile without appearing to be desperate and convince the agent you're the one to be put forward for the role? Be the best you can be, be patient, persevere. Market yourself without being a BS artist. Invest time and independent review of your CV and application methods.

Split your time between networking, applying for roles through job boards and contacting hiring managers directly offering your skills. (BTW "CV library" is another job board which may yield unique results...)

Give yourself a time limit and go back looking for permie roles after that. Good luck!
            Good stuff, some enthusiasm & positivity at last. You'll fit in well in General.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              Good stuff, some enthusiasm & positivity at last. You'll be destroyed in General.
              FTFY.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Sharepoint!

I hope that technology dies on its own arse soon and we can be rid of that bloatware.

I know that a lot of public sector invest in Sharepoint and probably why the market is dead right now.

It might be a good idea to get back in to that permie world, because sometimes the grass is not really greener.

The main problem is that permie wages are so low, the 400£ per day gigs look like an easy way to climb up the wages ladder. But as this thread shows, timing is important. You either have to be very niche or based in a location where your skillset is in high demand and local talent is in shortage. If you are in London, it could end up a few months wait for the right gig.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Sharepoint!

I hope that technology dies on its own arse soon and we can be rid of that bloatware.

I know that a lot of public sector invest in Sharepoint and probably why the market is dead right now.

It might be a good idea to get back in to that permie world, because sometimes the grass is not really greener.

The main problem is that permie wages are so low, the 400£ per day gigs look like an easy way to climb up the wages ladder. But as this thread shows, timing is important. You either have to be very niche or based in a location where your skillset is in high demand and local talent is in shortage. If you are in London, it could end up a few months wait for the right gig.

Wouldn't you just ask what FLC would do
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Wouldn't you just ask what FLC would do

I generally would, but I think that man mountain has topped himself after over dosing on KFC buckets and festering in his bed unable to even get out of it. I hope the end was quick and painless
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I got my first contract agreed before I left my previous permanent job, and it was an 18 month contract, they were happy for me to wait for my notice period too. In retrospect I was extremely jammy and its not representative -

However i had been looking for 12 months beforehand and contemplating the jump, and it definitely seems to me like there would be lulls with almost nothing (depressing, thought it was never going to happen) following by loads of different jobs at once. That seems to be the way, perhaps due to different year ends (some March, some December) as well as projects driven by new national initiatives. Not sure if the same for the Sharepoint world, but i wouldn't be surprised.

My best advise is do not use a generic all in one CV. Make sure you tailor your CV to each specific role you apply for, ensuring you meet the essential criteria. Many shortlisters do not take a second glance at a candidate who doesn't meet all the essentials.

Could you make it less clear on your CV that this is your first contract? Obviously not lie or hide anything, but not emphasise the fact?

Comment

Working...
                      X