• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor.. where did all the jobs go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very unfortunate timing on your part, should have researched a bit better before taking the plunge. Coupled with the comment of weeks, not months of funds, suggests you didn't prepare well for the plunge and it will only get harder from here.

Because of the IR35 and off payroll rules changes that are coming in 3 weeks, Private sector job ads are being flooded by the exodus of PS contractors, while PS are freezing new contracts until after the tulip hit the fan. I imagine the market will be extremely slow in the next month at least.

I would strongly suggest you expand your job search into high paid perm roles in addition to contracts and lower get rid of your expectations of rate and location for the first contract sooner, rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      The horrors. I could not imagine what it would be like these days. Of course this is the Golden Era of debt, so I guess people could hop onto Halifax's 30 month 0% credit card and defer the problem.
      Isn't that just retail banking's version of invoice factoring?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Also, what hasn't been mentioned is to take a good hard look at your CV.

Clients employ contractors based only on what they have delivered in the last few years, and agencies will only look at CVs that are fully aligned to the requirement given them by the client. The typical permie CV has lots of soft skills material and career progression statements: none of them are relevant.

Look at the CV from their side: does it say clearly that you know how to do the job in question, that you have done it successfully before and that you are skilled in all the various buzzwords and methodologies/languages/OSs they are looking for? If it doesn't, then get re-writing. And then re-write it again to match any particular role you apply for.

There is a huge difference between permie and contractor, so learn as much as you can about your new job.

Good luck, but be patient and persistent.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Your CV probably needs adjusting, and as a first time contractor, you're not as attractive to clients.
          Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Also, what hasn't been mentioned is to take a good hard look at your CV.

Clients employ contractors based only on what they have delivered in the last few years, and agencies will only look at CVs that are fully aligned to the requirement given them by the client. The typical permie CV has lots of soft skills material and career progression statements: none of them are relevant.

Look at the CV from their side: does it say clearly that you know how to do the job in question, that you have done it successfully before and that you are skilled in all the various buzzwords and methodologies/languages/OSs they are looking for? If it doesn't, then get re-writing. And then re-write it again to match any particular role you apply for.

There is a huge difference between permie and contractor, so learn as much as you can about your new job.

Good luck, but be patient and persistent.
          KUATB

To the OP - now is probably the worst time in the last 4 years that you could have picked to go contracting. It's not been this quiet since the Jubilee and London Olympics combined to kill the market for the best part of three months.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Very unfortunate timing on your part, should have researched a bit better before taking the plunge. Coupled with the comment of weeks, not months of funds, suggests you didn't prepare well for the plunge and it will only get harder from here.

Because of the IR35 and off payroll rules changes that are coming in 3 weeks, Private sector job ads are being flooded by the exodus of PS contractors, while PS are freezing new contracts until after the tulip hit the fan. I imagine the market will be extremely slow in the next month at least.

I would strongly suggest you expand your job search into high paid perm roles in addition to contracts and lower get rid of your expectations of rate and location for the first contract sooner, rather than later.
            I've just accepted a role at 30% below my usual rate & I've been doing this for 12 years.

I was tempted to turn it down and see if I could pick something up in the new financial year upturn but, to be honest, I don't have a huge amount of confidence in that making an appearance this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              I've just accepted a role at 30% below my usual rate & I've been doing this for 12 years.

I was tempted to turn it down and see if I could pick something up in the new financial year upturn but, to be honest, I don't have a huge amount of confidence in that making an appearance this year.
              Given the threads you've posted about your search, I think you've found your level.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                KUATB

To the OP - now is probably the worst time in the last 4 years that you could have picked to go contracting. It's not been this quiet since the Jubilee and London Olympics combined to kill the market for the best part of three months.

My market sector isn't quiet.

Then again some of the roles are public sector ones others have walked away from.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  My market sector isn't quiet.

Then again some of the roles are public sector ones others have walked away from.
                  So who's going to fill all these roles that people have walked away from?

People desperate for any contract because the market is saturated?

Planes full of Indian onshores?

Comment

Planes full of Indian o shores?
                    I'd imagine that the public sector are hoping for local candidates to apply because they won't want to pay expenses to attract people or fall into the trap of Indian/UK consultancies given the budgets that they have.

Comment

Planes full of Indian onshores?
                      Some of the roles are coming up on the Digital Marketplace. So I'm seeing roles coming through them then a few hours later or the next day I'm seeing the role advertised by an agency. However agencies aren't suppose to be on the Digital Marketplace.

Oh and if you deal with cloud stuff like develop on it, then it is worth signing your company up for G-cloud. If you search the forum via Google you should find the link eek posted.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X