• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving/Doing Up Home Office, Expenses Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use your phone as a scanner.

There, I've saved you a few quid.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Use your phone as a scanner.

There, I've saved you a few quid.
      Don't forget to add a nice new Aeron chair.

There, I've cost you a few quid... but it's worth it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't forget to add a nice new Aeron chair.

There, I've cost you a few quid... but it's worth it.
        Well the one I'm sat on I've had for 15 years and it only cost me £350 when I bought it (and they are still the same price on ebay)...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          I doubt that she's going to be scanning and printing while getting dressed

If the use of the printer, scanner or desk is more than incidental then there is a chance that HMRC would argue that the items have a duality of purpose.
          He works in IT.

HMRC aren't going to query about a desk, printer and scanner.

It's more about the fact you aren't saving that much money buying stuff through your company.

For example my desk is my own personal desk as it was a few years old when I opened up my company.

There as my chair is company owned as I found the old one was uncomfortable for working on for more than a couple of hours.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Well the one I'm sat on I've had for 15 years and it only cost me £350 when I bought it (and they are still the same price on ebay)...
            Same, but not being as old as you I haven't had it as long

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I bought my office chair for £11 from ASDA about 4 years and it only just broke (one of the castor housings snapped). Got another chair from Amazon for £45 and it's nowhere near as good.......

Suspect the OP is suffering from new-contractor-what-cool-stuff-can-I-get-through-company-itis.

Comment

A contractor I knew years ago told me he bought antiques for his office furniture, wrote them off over 3 years and repeated. Don't know if he would have got past a review.

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
                  Q2) My phone is a on personal contract (£45pm), doesn't finish until March 2018, can i just start paying the bill from a different account and call it my business phone from now until i can get a new one as a business contract?
                  I transferred my Vodafone personal contract to a business contract when I started contracting at no extra cost. They just sent me a form to fill in and this was mid contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                    A contractor I knew years ago told me he bought antiques for his office furniture, wrote them off over 3 years and repeated. Don't know if he would have got past a review.
                    Would he buggery lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You can only claim business related calls from your mobile phone. So that is the cost of each phone call that is business related.

If you have free minutes etc that's tough.

In general you can claim equipment but it doesn't mean you can take the piss.
                      Dual sim phone might be worth considering.

Comment

Working...
                      X