• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client using your CV to win work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client using your CV to win work

Tried searching this but I couldn't find anything on the forums.

Has anyone ever had a client use your CV to help them gain work? Is this normal?

I believe many consultancies have a skills DB that employees are supposed to fill out so they can resource projects or pieces of work. This could make up part of a bid to demonstrate capability as well but never heard of them using a CV.

Fancy giving just a modicum of detail?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The project i've been working on is now coming to an end so my client is trying to win additional work from the end client. The end client has requested CV's of those that they intend to have on the job.

Just wondering if its normal?

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyjr View Post
        The project i've been working on is now coming to an end so my client is trying to win additional work from the end client. The end client has requested CV's of those that they intend to have on the job.

Just wondering if its normal?

So, the people you refer to as your "client" are an agency/bodyshop/etc, and they are trying to find more work for you with the end client.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I believe many consultancies have a skills DB that employees are supposed to fill out so they can resource projects or pieces of work. This could make up part of a bid to demonstrate capability as well but never heard of them using a CV.

Fancy giving just a modicum of detail?
          My client asked me not only to fill in a a skills matrix but to provide my CV adapted to their template. I wasn't too happy about the former and very uncomfortable about the latter but it came as an email-all from someone in HR so I have managed to ignore it for 6 months so far
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            My client asked me not only to fill in a a skills matrix but to provide my CV adapted to their template. I wasn't too happy about the former and very uncomfortable about the latter but it came as an email-all from someone in HR so I have managed to ignore it for 6 months so far
            Failing to do so would see you being sucked into IR35 through the Part and Parcel route, as discussed on here last year.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              So if they'd already copied your CV into their company format you'd be a bit peeved?

Comment

So if they'd already copied your CV into their company format you'd be a bit peeved?
                I'd be worried. You'll be getting business cards next; unless it says something like "Associate Consultant", you'll be balls deep in IR35 before you can say employee discount.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yep.

CVs are copyrighted by the owner.

Giving someone a copy of your personal details doesn't give them the right to screw around with them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I'd be worried. You'll be getting business cards next; unless it says something like "Associate Consultant", you'll be balls deep in IR35 before you can say employee discount.
                    This...

It's not uncommon for them to try do it and you can't really blame them, they want business after all.
                    It's not normal for a contractor to allow it or be any part of it though.

It's a bit of shame really. They use your CV to win more business which means you get a new gig. It is a form of business. The only way to do it and be safe is to be clearly part of a partnership and not as a bum on seat. Bit like when the major companies for a group to bid when multiple companies together offering a whole solution. It would be great to be part of that but as a company making up a distinct part of the solution, not as a pseudo employee.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 8 March 2017, 15:49.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X