• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Could you take a quick look at this?" aka DAC during contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Could you take a quick look at this?" aka DAC during contracts

Am wondering how most IT contractors here deal with clients who like to think that they are hiring temporary employee devs who they can get to jump onto different projects as they see fit.

So far, it's been my opinion that from a DAC point of view, for a fixed-length of time contract it's best if I can at least agree up front the project that I will be assigned so that this can go into the assignment schedule, rather than have a more generic "Supplier of development services." or something similar, which seems to me to demonstrate DAC. Do you think it really does make a difference?

That said, even with that in place it's all too easy for someone to pop by your desk when you're there to say that they're in a bind as someone is off sick and could you assist with a particular issue that afternoon / next 2 days. "Could" is not often really a question

What is the best approach to this? Do you:

- Politely point out that you're contracted to just work on project X and you can't assist
    - Politely point out that you're not meant to but after some hand-wringing, do the work anyway
    - Help out without raising an issue

If it's not the first, doesn't this display a distinct lack of DAC? Have you managed the first and still maintained a good relationship with the client and not been seen as a problematic worker, given that the other contractors who don't give two stuffs about IR35 will likely just do it without thinking.

Or, am I just simply overthinking things? Can you agree to more generic dev contracts that would still stand good from an IR35 view? I imagine some clients could get testy even about having a specific assignment schedule, and would you treat this as a dealbreaker?

Originally posted by Devinity View Post
    Am wondering how most IT contractors here deal with clients who like to think that they are hiring temporary employee devs who they can get to jump onto different projects as they see fit.

So far, it's been my opinion that from a DAC point of view, for a fixed-length of time contract it's best if I can at least agree up front the project that I will be assigned so that this can go into the assignment schedule, rather than have a more generic "Supplier of development services." or something similar, which seems to me to demonstrate DAC. Do you think it really does make a difference?

That said, even with that in place it's all too easy for someone to pop by your desk when you're there to say that they're in a bind as someone is off sick and could you assist with a particular issue that afternoon / next 2 days. "Could" is not often really a question

What is the best approach to this? Do you:

- Politely point out that you're contracted to just work on project X and you can't assist
    - Politely point out that you're not meant to but after some hand-wringing, do the work anyway
    - Help out without raising an issue

If it's not the first, doesn't this display a distinct lack of DAC? Have you managed the first and still maintained a good relationship with the client and not been seen as a problematic worker, given that the other contractors who don't give two stuffs about IR35 will likely just do it without thinking.

Or, am I just simply overthinking things? Can you agree to more generic dev contracts that would still stand good from an IR35 view? I imagine some clients could get testy even about having a specific assignment schedule, and would you treat this as a dealbreaker?
    How about, you are being paid for project X out of projects X's budget, so its not something that you should take on ad-hoc, even though you would love to help .
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Give them a quotation for a one off piece of work. It's a bit more awkward if there is an agency involved, so in that case I offer to quote via the agency.

Comment

You could also argue that your PI insurance does not cover you for working on systems not defined in a / the schedule.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          You could also argue that your PI insurance does not cover you for working on systems not defined in a / the schedule.
          Or subcontract it to PC. He'll do anything.

Comment

Is this really true though? I hear so much BS on here about "my insurance won't cover this and won't cover that". If you want to use it as an excuse that's fine, but Id be shocked if there's a clause that would mean you're not covered.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Is this really true though? I hear so much BS on here about "my insurance won't cover this and won't cover that". If you want to use it as an excuse that's fine, but Id be shocked if there's a clause that would mean you're not covered.
              No.

But they don't know that
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Yeah - I tend to agree.

I've never worked a contract where I've done one single project, or haven't been asked at some point to 'quickly fix this' To be frank, on some level almost every contract falls into Control as the contract needs to state what is actually needed, and someone always test what you have done so everyone to a certain extent is Supervised.

Supervision is someone overseeing a person doing work, to ensure that person is doing the work they are required to do and it is being done correctly to the required standard. Supervision can also involve helping the person where appropriate in order to develop their skills and knowledge.

Direction is someone making a person do is/her work in a certain way by providing them with instructions, guidance or advice as to how the work must be done. Someone providing direction will often coordinate the how the work is done, as it is being undertaken.

Control is someone dictating what work a person does and how they go about doing that work. Control also includes someone having the power to move the person from one job to another.

Of course the real test of all of this comes in court.

Comment

No.

But they don't know that
                  Oh, that's fair then! Agreed in that case - easy way out.

Comment

You may class it as DAC while a true business classes it as a sales opportunity; ergo, you're inside.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X