• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Could you take a quick look at this?" aka DAC during contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO, an amendment to the contract schedule is the "proper" way to address work outside the original contract. Achieving this is obviously harder where an agency is involved.

Comment

So - looking purely at the questions in the tool, the question is:

"Can the end client move the worker to a different task or project than they originally agreed to do?"

And the 'ideal' answer is "No - that would need to be arranged under a new contract or formal agreement"

Something like "software services" in your schedule, whilst it goes against everything we know about IR35, would allow that question to be answered to put you outside, whereas "Development of the widget management system" would be more restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by Devinity View Post
        Am wondering how most IT contractors here deal with clients who like to think that they are hiring temporary employee devs who they can get to jump onto different projects as they see fit.

So far, it's been my opinion that from a DAC point of view, for a fixed-length of time contract it's best if I can at least agree up front the project that I will be assigned so that this can go into the assignment schedule, rather than have a more generic "Supplier of development services." or something similar, which seems to me to demonstrate DAC. Do you think it really does make a difference?

That said, even with that in place it's all too easy for someone to pop by your desk when you're there to say that they're in a bind as someone is off sick and could you assist with a particular issue that afternoon / next 2 days. "Could" is not often really a question

What is the best approach to this?
        Ask for a statement of work for that new, urgent thing. If asked why, say it's for compliance (which it is). Agencies and clients use "for compliance" all the time so that they won't have to explain, and so should you.

Had you been working in Germany, for example, then the client would have insisted on presenting you with a clear statement of work for that separate thing, or else they would probably fall under the "disguised employment" rules there, meaning that they would have to pay employer's NI (backdated) as well as a penalty provide paid leave and sick pay on top, and probably put in a fixed price for those two days.

Comment

Depends - act like an awkward tw*t and you won't have a contract to worry about. I've seen it happen.

Yeh of course you've got to draw the line somewhere but, remember, most clients dont get it and really dont want an awkward expensive prima donna sitting there in the corner.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Depends - act like an awkward tw*t and you won't have a contract to worry about. I've seen it happen.

Yeh of course you've got to draw the line somewhere but, remember, most clients dont get it and really dont want an awkward expensive prima donna sitting there in the corner.
            So where do you draw the line?

Comment

It does depend, indeed, on how you have or present the conversation.
              As you have alluded to, on here, any type of negotiation isn't your strongest point.

I refuse work often, due to this sort of thing, I still get extended so make of that what you will.

You can see a couple of examples earlier in the thread of excuses I have used.

Budgetary
              Insurance

Covers most situations
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                It does depend, indeed, on how you have or present the conversation.
                As you have alluded to, on here, any type of negotiation isn't your strongest point.

I refuse work often, due to this sort of thing, I still get extended so make of that what you will.

You can see a couple of examples earlier in the thread of excuses I have used.

Budgetary
                Insurance

Covers most situations
                You are being unfair and need to understand that contractors operate within a wide range of environments. PC has already been warned that if he refuses work again, his dole will be sanctioned for 6 months, so what do you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  You are being unfair and need to understand that contractors operate within a wide range of environments. PC has already been warned that if he refuses work again, his dole will be sanctioned for 6 months, so what do you suggest?
                  an awkward expensive prima donna sitting there in the corner.
                  I believe he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

He may be over valuing exactly what he is
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    I believe he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

He may be over valuing exactly what he is
                    PC sees expensive as a negative attribute for a contractor,

Comment

Only my opinion but....

Contract states "Software development services on system x".

Client says "Can you help out with this issue in an area of system x that you are not currently working on?"
                      "Sure thing, as long as you are happy with my current task being delayed".

Client says "Can you have a look at this new requirement for system Y to say if its feasible?"
                      "Sorry but I'm only working on system x, you would have to speak to Mr Bloggs to find out who can look at that"

No D&C and client is happy.

When answering the IR35 question "Can you be moved on to another project" I always interpret it as "If your current project ended and the client asked you to keep busy by cleaning the kitchen, would you have to do it?"

Makes about as much sense as the current rules do.....
                      Last edited by blacjac; 8 March 2017, 14:06.
                      Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                      X