• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BPSS sponsor needed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPSS sponsor needed?

Hello everyone, I work for a vendor in IT security as a contractor with the potential to work with government agencies in the future. I was investigating whether I could be proactive and start a security clearance process ahead of winning business to prevent delays to the project.

From what I understand from the FAQ that isn't possible as I would need a sponsor right?

So to start the process to complete the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check I would need the customer to sponsor me?

Thank you.

Originally posted by tiduz View Post
    Hello everyone, I work for a vendor in IT security as a contractor with the potential to work with government agencies in the future. I was investigating whether I could be proactive and start a security clearance process ahead of winning business to prevent delays to the project.

From what I understand from the FAQ that isn't possible as I would need a sponsor right?

So to start the process to complete the Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check I would need the customer to sponsor me?

Thank you.
    You've answered your own question.

Hopefully you are aware of the potential tax changes with regards to the public sector.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You can't apply for it as an individual. You could do Disclosure Scotland but it's so quick I wouldn't bother unless it's needed.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Am I the only one to wonder about a security guru not understanding the security processes...?

But the others are right and you are making the usual mistake. Strictly speaking the clearance belongs to the role, not the guy doing it so no role, no clearance. Also BPSS wouldn't help that much: if you're discussing ministry level security you would need at least SC.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Why not ask your employer to get clearance for you? Consultancies do it all the time (or certainly used to)
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
            Why not ask your employer to get clearance for you? Consultancies do it all the time (or certainly used to)
            ... if they are List X approved.

Just to expand that, rather than going through the monster thread, the reason clearance lapses is because nobody is monitoring you so the security people have no idea if you are up to something they may disapprove of. For your employer to clear you, they will need to have a registered clearance function of their own to act as a proxy for the HMG bodies while you are not working for them. Even then, while they may talk to you about clearance-required matters many Departments won't recognise such commercial clearances and will re-vet you if you are actively going to work on their systems.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick response. Will see how customer relationships develop.

Just to note, I contract for a US silicon valley company hence the lack of knowledge on this subject and the need to investigate myself.

Comment

Originally posted by tiduz View Post
                Thanks everyone for the quick response. Will see how customer relationships develop.

Just to note, I contract for a US silicon valley company hence the lack of knowledge on this subject and the need to investigate myself.
                UK based? Without 5 years living at a UK address it's unlikely you would be cleared anyway, barring some exceptional circumstances.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X