• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Honesty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Honesty

Any horror stories of client's bulltulipting?

Recently started a gig in "central" London only to find 3 days of the week are far out West in Zone 3... This is after committing to a Mon-Fri spare room in Greenwich...

Not as flexible as was discussed, in terms of acruing hours / early finish / work from home Fri to boot!

This is the first time I've felt "decieved" - I would have still been up for the role. Seems like the carrot on a stick tactic was used like is often the case to lure permies. I just don't get their thought process.

Took a gig once and turned up first morning and was very disappointed to find they wanted me to some work, I mean like real work. Bastards.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Took a gig once and turned up first morning and was very disappointed to find they wanted me to some work, I mean like real work. Bastards.
      Brutal, I hope you got IPSE and the EU human rights courts involved.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
        Any horror stories of client's bulltulipting?

Recently started a gig in "central" London only to find 3 days of the week are far out West in Zone 3... This is after committing to a Mon-Fri spare room in Greenwich...

Not as flexible as was discussed, in terms of acruing hours / early finish / work from home Fri to boot!

This is the first time I've felt "decieved" - I would have still been up for the role. Seems like the carrot on a stick tactic was used like is often the case to lure permies. I just don't get their thought process.
        How long has this "deception" been going on?

Doesn't matter whats discussed prior, sometimes some of these more flexible items need to be "earned".
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          How long has this "deception" been going on?

Doesn't matter whats discussed prior, sometimes some of these more flexible items need to be "earned".
          Couple of weeks. Sure, WFH I get you need to "earn" but having someone commit to a spare room nowhere near the primary office?... Come on...

Comment

Couple of weeks. Sure, WFH I get you need to "earn" but having someone commit to a spare room nowhere near the primary office?... Come on...
            That was Yourco's strategic decision, not the fault of the client.

Myco always makes me hotel it for the first few weeks to see how the land lies....

Comment

Agent told me that the role was in central London, so I rented somewhere to start with.

Day before I started - "until you get clearance through, you'll be based in Slough". At least I charged them travel expenses every day to get there from London, but I could have saved a fortune by not renting in London
              First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Well if they told him at interview that hours were flexible & there was WFH option on Friday and then welched on him I'd say he's got every right to feel aggrieved.

Comment

Not really. It all depends. I've had a couple of roles that have involved long commutes / night overs where the rate has been too low for me to want to do it. So, I negotiated a couple of days WFH each week before I started & fortunately they were as good as their word.

I actually find it harder getting WFH now than I did 10 years ago - clients are reluctant to go there which is just stupid when our roads & railways are clogged up & we've all got superfast broadband to enable us to easily work remotely.

You know what? I reckon it's our old friend Agile again & people's insistence on you being there in person for their stupid dumb huddles and so you can fall asleep in tedious 3 hour long sprint retrospectives.
                  Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 5 March 2017, 20:11.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    That was Yourco's strategic decision, not the fault of the client.

Myco always makes me hotel it for the first few weeks to see how the land lies....
                    Same - way way too risky otherwise. Gotra get a feel for the place, check out the company culture, see what the commuting is like etc. Also less chance of any hiccups with accommodation - dont need stress like that early on.

Comment

Working...
                    X