• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the Bench!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Bench!!

Hi Guys,

Appreciate some insight here....so iv been on the bench now for 2 months and been a little frustrated with job applications and not getting any interviews....but have built up enough savings for at least 6-8 months.

Been a IT BA contractor for 2.5 yrs with experience on the OTC Reg side of things and on around (£570pd...prior to this was a perm BA on OTC space for 6.5 yrs) now I commute into London (2 hrs each way) and am considering getting an BA Role somewhere closer to my home address for a short period just so I can get some income coming into my limited company.

Downside would be that the day rates will be a lot lower (£300pd) and the actual work is more pure BA work on IT systems rather for smaller IT companies rather than a large tier 1 IB company which I have been in all my working career and also commute will be very short and get to spend more time at home as well as the 2 year expense rule being restarted.

I was just wondering that if by getting this role will look unfavourable against me when I eventually get back into London for Reg related roles where
    my main expertise is? I.e they might say that iv been away from the Reg space too long and it won't be my most recent role and choose other contractors over me etc...

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so what did decision did you take?

Again appreciate the advice.

I've worked in the media, automotive and publishing industries in between IB gigs. Nobody has said anything negative about it. If anything, it should help you bring best of breed practices from other industries to your experience and skillset.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Give it another month at the most and then go for a local job. Lets be honest if you're not getting any interviews it looks pretty bad, so you may as well start the ball rolling on that.

I agree with the above moving into other areas won't stop you getting back in to IB's if they pick up. You don't forget what you did before.

Working 6 months in a lower paying contract is still a lot better than waiting 3 months for the high paying one.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 March 2017, 12:00.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Give it another month at the most and then go for a local job. Lets be honest if you're not getting any interviews it looks pretty bad, so you may as well start the ball rolling on that.

I agree with the above moving into other areas won't stop you getting back in to IB's if they pick up. You don't forget what you did before.

Yep you need better conversion rate of sending application/ getting an interview.
        For me it's close to 80%-90% (hunch) .
        So make your CV hot. It's the only thing that sells you

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          Yep you need better conversion rate of sending application/ getting an interview.
          For me it's close to 80%-90% (hunch) .
          So make your CV hot. It's the only thing that sells you
          No it's not.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No it's not.
            Care to elaborate on that mr catchy short replies

Comment

You can influence the process by speaking to the agent or the client during the submission process. If you sound like a clueless idiot he's going to favour the other guy who sounded like they know what he was doing. If you can blag it to the agent that you are the best person, knowing other people on site, knowledge of the clients situation he's going to be swayed. It's not always CV's side by side on a desk.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I sell him in the end cubicle of the gents at Wigan Wallgate.

Comment

Have a look at defence jobs.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

IB industry is just not hiring many so its not a problem to step outside that arena for now into other industries. Also I have been told by many recruitment agents its not uncommon to see larger CV gaps so even 6-9 months is fine right now as many other contractors are in the same boat regarding CV gaps due to the overwhelming number of candidates. I do not even think it makes a difference to most IB's as long as you can prove the gaps with paperwork (if required). I would be more concerned with making the wrong move than getting stuck in another IT area as that sends a negative signal for the role you do want as the hirers have a mindset of why did you move sideways instead of spend longer looking for the role you really wanted as strange as that sounds!

Comment

Working...
                    X