• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Sydney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Sydney

Now before anyone flames me saying it's been posted. No , not by me.
    Had an agent convincing me that contracting in Sydney is the thing , rates around 700-800$. which sounds good on paper, though got few questions.

1. Anyone applied for point based skilled visa? is it hard to get once you fill the papers? I know they are sending 1200 invitations twice a month, I just wonder if anyone had to wait long for it?
    2. Whats the reality about properties there, whats the best website to look for them? The only I found was right move, and trust me i looked!
    3. I've read that there's 5% unemployment, heard opinions that it's more about 15% and hard to get a job?
    4. Whats the quality of life, traffics, air pollution , transport ? Again on paper it sounds like a dream, but I'm keen hear it from someone that been there, aussie
    5. whats the weather like, does it have winter at all ?
    Last edited by diseasex; 2 March 2017, 10:50.

I would say go for it given your age.
    I understand the contract IT market is quite good there, my skill set is actually one of the most in demand there.
    They have something similar to IR35 where you cannot do more than 6 months at one client, within one year, I believe.
    Sydney is a stupidly expensive city.

If you search there is good info on here
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      I would say go for it given your age.
      I understand the contract IT market is quite good there, my skill set is actually one of the most in demand there.
      They have something similar to IR35 where you cannot do more than 6 months at one client, within one year, I believe.
      Sydney is a stupidly expensive city.

If you search there is good info on here
      Read all that , in fact reading for few months. Interested to hear actual experiences.
      Thanks though

Comment

Go for it. Many of my friends moved to Australia and have really enjoyed it. The economy is robust, house prices very low, damn good weather and the people are ever so nice. You get paid almost twice what you would in UK.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Go for it. Many of my friends moved to Australia and have really enjoyed it. The economy is robust, house prices very low, damn good weather and the people are ever so nice. You get paid almost twice what you would in UK.
          Now if that was 4h flight I'd be there already. I have mom here though , it's pretty tough decision. Would need to sell assets, car etc

On related topic: anyone know places where theres beach , sunny weather and contracts?
          My friend had an offer of 80k (not sure which currency) on virgin islands as a dev, but that's perm
          Last edited by diseasex; 2 March 2017, 11:09.

Comment

I contracted over there for 12 months in 2006/2007, so this info may be a bit old now, but I loved it. Easy to find work, if you've got good skills. I found certifications help. Back then rates were more like $400/$500 a day. Tax is more like PAYE but you could get a Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) which gives you quite a bit more take home. The accountancy type firms took a big cut though to arrange this so look into if it could be done cheaper. I didn't come across any 6 month limits. I worked for a single client for 12 months, sponsored by my agency so that I could move clients if I wanted.

Lifestyle? Awesome! I was around 30 with my girlfriend. There are loads of places you can live to be close to the beach with an easy commute. My favourite was Manly, and you get a ferry to work each morning. Accomodation was and is even more expensive now. Beer and cost of living is relatively expensive.

Just do it. Even if its for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              I contracted over there for 12 months in 2006/2007, so this info may be a bit old now, but I loved it. Easy to find work, if you've got good skills. I found certifications help. Back then rates were more like $400/$500 a day. Tax is more like PAYE but you could get a Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) which gives you quite a bit more take home. The accountancy type firms took a big cut though to arrange this so look into if it could be done cheaper. I didn't come across any 6 month limits. I worked for a single client for 12 months, sponsored by my agency so that I could move clients if I wanted.

Lifestyle? Awesome! I was around 30 with my girlfriend. There are loads of places you can live to be close to the beach with an easy commute. My favourite was Manly, and you get a ferry to work each morning. Accomodation was and is even more expensive now. Beer and cost of living is relatively expensive.

Just do it. Even if its for a year.
              May I know what made you come back then?

Comment

Sydney is great! Not cheap but then neither is London or Manchester...

I've been in their winter and it as like an average summer day here - not really hot but was still sunny.
                Last edited by Newbie1; 3 March 2017, 01:55.

Comment

For between £400 / £500 it must be a lifestyle choice. No harm in trying something different while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie1 View Post
                    I've been in their winter and it as like an average summer day here - not really hot but was still sunny.
                    Absolutely LOVE IT
                    I'd give you a picture of my sights outside today , but you all have it too. Miss the sun

Comment

Working...
                    X